Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
DPhil, Economics, University of Oxford
MPhil, Economics, University of Oxford
Masters, Economic Policy, University of Buenos Aires
Licentiate in Economics, University of Buenos Aires
At Haas since 2003
2013 – present, Phillips Girgich Professor of Business, Haas School of Business
2008 – present, Associate Professor of Political Science, Travers Department of Political Science, University of California, Berkeley
2010 – 2013, Harold Furst Chair in Management Philosophy and Values, Haas School of Business
2008 – 2010, Associate Professor of Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
2007 – 2008, Associate Professor of Political Economy, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
2004 – 2007, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Travers Department of Political Science, University of California at Berkeley
2003 – 2007, Assistant Professor of Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Co-Director: Berkeley Center for Economics and Politics (BCEP)
- Faculty Board: Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA)
- Research Associate – National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)
- Research Affiliate – International Growth Centre (IGC)
Current Research and Interests
- Political economy
- Democratic institutions and collective decision-making
- Influence and corruption, morality, coercion, conflict
- State formation and state capabilities
Selected Papers and Publications
- Do the Right Thing:” The Effects of Moral Suasion on Cooperation, Journal of Public Economics 117, 2014 (with Pedro Dal Bó)
- Strengthening State Capabilities: The Role of Financial Incentives in the Call to Public Service, Quarterly Journal of Economics 128(3), August 2013, (with Fred Finan and Martín Rossi)
- Self-Esteem, Moral Capital, and Wrongdoing, Journal of the European Economic Association 11(3), June 2013, (with Marko Terviö)
- Workers, Warriors and Criminals: Social Conflict in General Equilibrium, Journal of the European Economic Association 9(4), August 2011, (with Pedro Dal Bó)
- “Term Length and the Effort of Politicians”(with Martín Rossi). Review of Economic Studies 78(4), 1237-63 (2011).
- “A Model of Spoils Politics,” with Robert Powell. American Journal of Political Science 53, no. 1 (2009).
- “Political Dynasties,” with Pedro Dal Bó and Jason Snyder. Review of Economic Studies 76, no. 1 (2009).
- “Bribing Voters.” American Journal of Political Science 51, no. 4 (2007).
- “Regulatory Capture: A Review.” Oxford Review of Economic Policy 22, no. 2 (2006).
- “Plata o Plomo?: Bribe and Punishment in a Theory of Political Influence,” with Pedro Dal Bó and Rafael Di Tella. American Political Science Review 100, no. 1 (2006).
- “Capture by Threat,” with Rafael Di Tella. Journal of Political Economy 111, no. 5 (2003).
- Political Economy (BA279a) – Haas-Business and Public Policy PhD program
- States, Elites, and Bureaucracies (PS239) – Political Science PhD program
- Ethics and Responsible Business Leadership (MBA207, EWMBA207) – Haas MBA and EWMBA programs.
Honors and Awards
- Hellman Family Faculty Fund Award, 2006
- Schwabacher Fellowship Award, 2005-2006
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 2004
- Special Mention, Earl Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, PhD, 2004
- J. Rank and C.A.W. Manning Junior Research Fellowship in Social Studies, New College, Oxford
- Royal Economic Society Fellowship (Recipient), 2000
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]