BA, Economics, Williams College
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
At Haas since 2010
2010 - present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
Referee for: Economic Journal, Economics of Transition, European Review of Economic History, Explorations in Economic History, Journal of Economic Growth, Journal of Economic History, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Economics and Statistics
Consulting: Asian Development Bank, Sustainable Endowments Institute
Current Research and Interests
- Educational institutions, human capital and historical development
- Labor market institutions and contract enforcement
- Law and economics
- Political institutions
- Social interactions
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Medieval Universities, Legal Institutions, and the Commercial Revolution," forthcoming, Quarterly Journal of Economics (with Davide Cantoni).
- "The Political Economy of Educational Content and Development: Lessons from History," Journal of Development Economics, 104, 233-244 (with Davide Cantoni).
- "Coercive Contract Enforcement: Law and the Labor Market in 19th Century Industrial Britain," American Economic Review, 103(1), 107-144 (with Suresh Naidu).
- "Crime, Punishment, and Politics: An Analysis of Political Cycles in Criminal Sentencing," Review of Economics and Statistics, 95(3), 741-756 (with Carlos Berdejo).
Honors and Awards
- Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching; PhD Program, Haas School of Business, 2012-2013
- Quarterly Journal of Economics Excellence in Refereeing Award, 2011, 2012
- Russell Sage Foundation Small Grant in Behavioral Economics, 2012
- Garwood Center for Corporate Innovation Research Grant, Haas School of Business, 2011-2012
- Roger L. Martin Fellowship, 2009
- Thomas Cochran Fellowship, 2008
- Certificate of Distinction in Teaching, 2008
- Economic History Association Travel and Data Grant, 2008
- Alfred D. Chandler, Jr. Travel Fellowship, 2008
- Harvard Center for American Political Studies Graduate Seed Grant, 2007
- Harvard University Graduate Fellowship, 2005 - 2007
- Beinecke Scholarship, 2004 - 2008
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.