BA, Economics, Brown University
PhD, Economics, Yale University
At Haas since 1980
2014 - present, Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
1985 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
2010 - present, Vice Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
2004 - 2010, President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
1997 - 1999, Chair, President's Council of Economic Advisors
1994 - 1997, Member, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
1982 - 1985, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1980 - 1982, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1978 - 1980, Lecturer, London School of Economics and Political Science
1977 - 1978, Economist, Division of International Finance, Trade and Financial Studies Section, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
1971 - 1976, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Harvard University
1974, Research Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
External Service and Assignments
- Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Vice President, Western Economics Association
- Fellow, Yale Corporation
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Panel on Ensuring the Best Presidential Science and Technology Appointments
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Advisory Board, Center for International Political Economy
- Advisory Board, Brookings Panel on Economic Activity
- Chair: Economic Policy Committee of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
- President's Interagency Committee on Women's Business Enterprise
- Member and adviser: Brookings Panel on Economic Activity (senior advisor); Advisor Panel in Economics, National Science Foundation
- Advisor: Congressional Budget Office
- Research fellow: Yale University, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Current Research and Interests
- Unemployment and labor markets
- Monetary and fiscal policies
- International trade and investment policy
Selected Papers and Publications
- The Fabulous Decade: Macroeconomic Lessons from the 1990s, with Alan Binder. New York: The Century Foundation Press, 2001.
- "Trends in Income Inequality and Policy Responses." Looking Ahead (October 1997).
- "The Inequality Paradox: Growth of Income Disparity." National Policy Association (1998).
- "The Continuing Importance of Trade Liberalization." Business Economics (1998).
- "Monetary Policy: Goals and Strategy." Business Economics (July 1996).
- "An Analysis of Out-of-Wedlock Childbearing in the United States," with George Akerlof and Michael Katz. Journal of Economics (May 1996).
- "East Germany In From the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," with George Akerlof, Andrew Rose, and Helga Hessenius. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 1991:1.
- "How Large Are the Losses from Rule of Thumb Behavior in Models of the Business Cycle?" with George Akerlof, in Money, Macroeconomics and Economic Policy: Essays in Honor of James Tobin, edited by Willima Brainard, William Nordhaus, and Harold Watts, Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1991.
- Macroeconomics in the Global Economy, MBA201B-1A
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2001
- Fellow, Yale Corporation, 2000
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree, Bard College, May 2000
- Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree, Brown University, 1998
- Maria and Sidney Rolfe Award for National Economic Service, Women's Economic Roundtable, 1997
- Wilbur Lucius Cross Medal, Yale University, 1997
- Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1967
- Guggenheim Fellow, 1986-1987
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching (Evening MBA Program), 1988
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching (MBA Program), 1985
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.