BA, Economics, Brown University
PhD, Economics, Yale University
At Haas since 1980
2014 - present, Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
2010 - present, Vice Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
2004 - 2010, President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
1985 - 2006, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1997 - 1999, Chair, President's Council of Economic Advisors
1994 - 1997, Member, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
1982 - 1985, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1980 - 1982, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1978 - 1980, Lecturer, London School of Economics and Political Science
1977 - 1978, Economist, Division of International Finance, Trade and Financial Studies Section, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
1971 - 1976, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Harvard University
1974, Research Fellow, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
External Service and Assignments
- Chair, Federal Reserve Board of Governors
- President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Vice President, Western Economics Association
- Fellow, Yale Corporation
- Member, National Academy of Sciences Panel on Ensuring the Best Presidential Science and Technology Appointments
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Advisory Board, Center for International Political Economy
- Advisory Board, Brookings Panel on Economic Activity
- Chair: Economic Policy Committee of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
- President's Interagency Committee on Women's Business Enterprise
- Member and adviser: Brookings Panel on Economic Activity (senior advisor); Advisor Panel in Economics, National Science Foundation
- Advisor: Congressional Budget Office
- Research fellow: Yale University, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Current Research and Interests
- Unemployment and labor markets
- Monetary and fiscal policies
- International trade and investment policy
Selected Papers and Publications
- The Fabulous Decade: Macroeconomic Lessons from the 1990s, with Alan Binder. New York: The Century Foundation Press, 2001.
- "Trends in Income Inequality and Policy Responses." Looking Ahead (October 1997).
- "The Inequality Paradox: Growth of Income Disparity." National Policy Association (1998).
- "The Continuing Importance of Trade Liberalization." Business Economics (1998).
- "Monetary Policy: Goals and Strategy." Business Economics (July 1996).
- "An Analysis of Out-of-Wedlock Childbearing in the United States," with George Akerlof and Michael Katz. Journal of Economics (May 1996).
- "East Germany In From the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," with George Akerlof, Andrew Rose, and Helga Hessenius. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity 1991:1.
- "How Large Are the Losses from Rule of Thumb Behavior in Models of the Business Cycle?" with George Akerlof, in Money, Macroeconomics and Economic Policy: Essays in Honor of James Tobin, edited by Willima Brainard, William Nordhaus, and Harold Watts, Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1991.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2001
- Fellow, Yale Corporation, 2000
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters Degree, Bard College, May 2000
- Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree, Brown University, 1998
- Maria and Sidney Rolfe Award for National Economic Service, Women's Economic Roundtable, 1997
- Wilbur Lucius Cross Medal, Yale University, 1997
- Honorary Woodrow Wilson Fellowship, 1967
- Guggenheim Fellow, 1986-1987
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching (Evening MBA Program), 1988
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching (MBA Program), 1985
Facts and Figures about Janet Yellen
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.