Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Industrial Engineering, Stanford University
MS, Operations Research, Stanford University
MS, Industrial Engineering, Stanford University
AB, Honors Economics, Stanford University
At Haas since 2001
2015 – present, Gary and Sherron Kalbach Chair in Business Administration
2004 – present, OITM Group Chair, Haas School of Business
2001 – present, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1993 – present, Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, UC Berkeley
2003 – 2004, Visiting Susan B. Butler Chair of Operations Management, Krannert School of Management, Purdue University
1995 – 2001, Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, UC Berkeley
1988 – 1993, Associate Professor, Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, and University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
1992 – 1993, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Stanford University
1991 – 1992, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, UC Berkeley
1990, Visiting Scholar, Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Stanford University
External Service and Assignments
- Senior Vice President for Publications, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Focus Issue Editor, IISE Transactions (Scheduling & Logistics)
- Editorial Board, INFORMS Journal on Service Science Management
Current Research and Interests
- Supply chain management (production and inventory management and distribution systems management)
- Service systems management
- Production-quality interface issues
- Marketing-production interface issues
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center Optimizes Operating Room Block Scheduling for New Hospital” with Brittney Benchoff and Alexandra Newman, Interfaces (in press 2017).
- “Designing Supply Contracts Considering Profit Targets and Risk ” with Shiming Deng, Production and Operations Management 25 no. 7 (2016), 1393-1307.
- “Improving Supply Chain Performance and Managing Risk Under Weather-Related Demand Uncertainty” with Frank Y. Chen. Management Science 56 no. 8 (2010), 1380-1397.
- “Supplier Commitment and Production Decisions Under a Forecast-Commitment Contract,” with Elizabeth Durango-Cohen. Management Science 52, no. 1 (2006): 54-67.
- “Coordinated Pricing and Production/Procurement Decisions: A Review,” with Stephen Gilbert, in Managing Business Interfaces: Marketing, Engineering and Manufacturing Perspectives, edited by Amiya Chakravarty and Jehoshua Eliashbert, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
- “Contract Manufacturing: Dealing with Combined Supply Timing and Demand Quantity Uncertainty,” with Jing-Sheng Song and Panupol Lerrssrisuriya. Journal of Manufacturing and Service Operations Management 2, no. 3 (2000): 287-296.
- “Lot Sizing with Random Yields: A Review,” with Hau Lee. Operations Research 43, no. 2 (1995): 311-334.
- “Sequencing to Minimize Work Overload in Assembly Lines with Product Options,” with Ram Rachamadugu. Management Science 37, no. 5 (1991): 572-586.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Fellow, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE)
- Award for Advancement of Women in OR/MS (Women in OR/MS Forum of INFORMS), 2008.
- IEOR Professor of the Year Award (teaching excellence award), University of California, Berkeley, 2008.
- Chancellor’s Professorship, University of California Berkeley, 1997-2000
- Distinguished Service Award, INFORMS Section on Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 1997
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]