AB, Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Economics, MIT
At Haas since 2000
2013 - present, Cora Jane Flood Professor of Business Administration, Haas School of Business
2013 - present, Faculty Director, The E2e Project
2009 - present, Faculty Director, Energy Institute at Haas
2006 - present, Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
2005 - 2013, Associate Professor of Business Administration, Haas School of Business
1997 - 2006, Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research
2000 - 2005, Assistant Professor of Business Administration, Haas School of Business
1996 - 2000, Assistant Professor of Economics, Harvard University
External Service and Assignments
- Faculty Scientist, Environmental Energy Technologies Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Board of Directors, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
- Associate Editor, The Economics Journal
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Board of Editors, The Energy Journal
- Associate Editor, Journal of Industrial Economics
Current Research and Interests
- Energy markets
- Environmental regulation
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Deregulation, Consolidation and Efficiency: Evidence from U.S. Nuclear Power," with Lucas Davis, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2012, Vol. 4 (October): 194-225.
- “Enforcement of Vintage Differentiated Regulations: The Case of New Source Review,” with James Bushnell, Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2012, Vol. 64 (September): 137-152.
- “Dynamic Pricing of Electricity,” with Paul Joskow, American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 2012, Vol. 102 (May): 381-385
- “How Will Energy Demand Develop in the Developing World?” with Orie Shelef and Paul Gertler, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2012, Vol. 26 (Winter): 119-138
- “Sacred Cars? Cost-Effective Regulation of Stationary and Non-stationary Pollution Sources,” with Meredith Fowlie and Christopher Knittel, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2012, Vol. 4 (February): 98-126.
- "Local Solutions to Global Problems: Climate Change Policies and Regulatory Jurisdiction," with James Bushnell and Carla Peterman, Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 2008, Vol. 2 (Summer): 175-193.
- "Do Markets Reduce Costs? Assessing the Impact of Regulatory Restructuring on U.S. Electric Generation Efficiency," with Kira Fabrizio and Nancy Rose, American Economic Review, 2007, Vol. 97 (September): 1250-1277.
- "Inefficiencies and Market Power in Financial Arbitrage: A Study of California?s Electricity Markets," with Severin Borenstein, James Bushnell, and Christopher Knittel, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2008, Vol.56 (June): 347-378.
- "Coordinating on Lower Prices: Pharmaceutical Pricing under Political Pressure," with Sara Fisher Ellison. RAND Journal of Economics 37, (Summer 2006): 325-341.
- "Regulating Executive Pay: Using the Tax Code to Influence Chief Executive Officer Compensation," with Nancy L. Rose. Journal of Labor Economics 20 (April 2002): S138-S175.
- "Why Do Manufacturers Issue Coupons? An Empirical Analysis of Breakfast Cereals," with Aviv Nevo. RAND Journal of Economics 33 (Summer 2002): 319-339.
- "Has the "Million-Dollar Cap" Affected CEO Pay?" with Nancy Rose. American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 90 (May 2000): 197-202.
- Energy & Environmental Markets
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening MBA Program, 2008
- Barbara and Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening & Weekend MBA Program, 2006
- Americal Statistical Association/Energy Information Administration Research Fellow, 2004
- National Science Foundation Award for Beginning Academics, 1999
- American Compensation Association Emerging Scholar Program, 1997
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1995
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.