Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
D.Phil. Economic History, Nuffield College, Oxford 1996
M.Sc. Economic History, St. Antony’s College, Oxford, 1993
2015- UBS Professor of Macroeconomics and Financial Markets, University of Zurich
2014- Professor of Development Economics, University of Zurich
2005- ICREA Research Chair, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
2004-05 Visiting Professor, Stern School of Business, NYU
2003-05 Full Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
2001-02, 03-04 Visiting Professor, MIT
2001-03 Associate Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
1999-2003 Deputy Director, Center for History and Economics, King’s College, Cambridge
1998-2001 Assistant Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
1997-98 Visiting Assistant Professor, Stanford
1995-96 Research Fellow, Clare College, Cambridge
External Service and Assignments
Joint managing editor, The Economic Journal, 2015-
Editor, Explorations in Economic History, 2012-15
Editor, European Review of Economic History, 2008-12
Associate Editor, Quarterly Journal of Economics (from 2011).
Associate Editor, Journal of Economic Growth (from 2012).
Advisor to the German Stock Exchange, 1999-2005
Senior Associate, McKinsey & Co., Inc. 1997-98
Current Research and Interests
- Long-run growth
- Origins of ethnic conflict
- Persistence and change of cultural attitudes
Selected Papers and Publications
- 2016 ‘Leverage and Beliefs: Personal Experience and Risk Taking’ [with Peter Koudijs]. forthcoming, American Economic Review.
- 2016 ‘Bowling for Fascism: Social Capital and the Rise of the Nazi Party’ [with Shanker Satyanath, Nico Voigtländer]. forthcoming, Journal of Political Economy.
- 2015 ‘State Capacity and Military Conflict’ [with Nicola Gennaioli]. Review of Economic Studies 82(4): 1409-1448.
- 2013 ‘How the West ‘Invented’ Fertility Restriction’ [with Nico Voigtländer], American Economic Review 103(6): 2227–2264.
- 2013 ‘The Three Horsemen of Riches: Plague, War and Urbanization in Early Modern Europe’ [with Nico Voigtländer], Review of Economic Studies 80: 774-811.
- 2012 ‘Persecution Perpetuated: The Medieval Origins of Anti-Semitic Violence in Nazi Germany’ [with Nico Voigtländer], Quarterly Journal of Economics 127(3): 1339-1392.
- 2008 ‘Betting on Hitler: The Value of Political Connections in Nazi Germany’ [with Thomas Ferguson], Quarterly Journal of Economics 123(1): 101–137.
- Econ 260 – Fall 2016 – Transition Economics (joint with Gerard Roland)
- Econ 210b – Spring 2017 – The Research Frontier in Economic History (joint with Brad DeLong)
- Research Methods – Spring 2017 (joint with Noam Yuchtman).
Honors and Awards
- Sir John Hicks Memorial Lecture, Oxford (2016)
- Hong Kong Institute of Advanced Study (IAS) Distinguished Lecture (2015)
- Albert Hirschman Award for ‘Austerity and Anarchy’ [with Jacopo Ponticelli] awarded by Foreign Policy for best writing in global political economy (2011)
- Advanced Investigator Grant, awarded by the European Research Council (ERC), for the project Asset Returns in Times of Insecurity (€ 2.1 mio, 2009-2014)
- Explorations Prize for the Best Article in 2010-11 in Explorations in Economic History (joint with Mauricio Drelichman)
- R.H. Tawney Memorial Lecture, Economic History Society Annual Conference, Cambridge, UK (April 2011)
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society (from 2009)
- Gino Luzzatto Prize, awarded by the European Historical Economics Society for the best dissertation in economic history (1996-1999)
- Alexander Gerschenkron Prize, awarded by the Economic History Association for the outstanding dissertation in international economic history (1996)
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]