PhD, Management (Applied Economics), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MBA, INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France.
MS, Economics, New University of Lisbon, Portugal.
Licenciatura, Economics, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Lisbon.
At Haas since 1991
2005 - present, J. Gary Shansby Professor of Marketing Strategy, Haas School of Business
2001 - present, Professor of Business Administration, Haas School of Business
2011- 2014, Chair, Marketing Group, Haas School of Business
2006 - 2009, Director, PhD Program
1997 - 2001, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1994 - 1995, Visiting Assistant Professor, Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Lisbon
1991 - 1997, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Department Editor, Management Science
- Associate Editor, Marketing Science, Quantitative Marketing and Economics
- Editorial Board: Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing
- Member: American Economic Association, American Marketing Association, Econometric Society, and INFORMS
Current Research and Interests
- Competitive strategy
- Customer relationship management
- Internet strategies
- Organization design
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Optimal Search for Product Information" (with Fernando Branco and Monic Sun), forthcoming, Management Science.
- "Strategic Entry Before Demand Takes Off" (with Qiaowei Shen), Management Science, 2010, 1259-1272.
- "When More Alternatives Lead to Less Choice" (with Dmitri Kuksov), Marketing Science, 2010, 507-524.
- "Product Variety and Endogenous Pricing with Evaluation Costs.” Management Science, 2009, 1338-1346.
- "Endogeneity and Individual Consumer Choice," with Dmitri Kuksov. Journal of Marketing Research (2008): 702-714.
- "Behavior-Based Price Discrimination and Customer Recognition," with Drew Fudenberg, inHandbook on Economics and Information Systems, 377-436. Elsevier, 2006.
- "Price Cycles in Markets with Customer Recognition." RAND Journal of Economics 35, no.3 (Autumn 2004): 486-501.
- "Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition." Marketing Science 23 (2004): 134-145.
- "Dynamic Competition with Customer Recognition." RAND Journal of Economics 30 (Winter 1999): 604-631.
- "Endogeneity in Brand Choice Models," with Russell S. Winer. Management Science 45 (1999): 1324-1338. ISMS Long Term Impact Award, 2009.
- "Comparative Statics of Fixed Points." Journal of Economic Theory 73, no. 1 (March 1997): 183-1998.
- "Predicting Advertising Pulsing Policies in an Oligopoly: A Model and Empirical Test."Marketing Science 12 (1993): 88-102. (Finalist for the John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, 1993.)
- Marketing Strategy, MBA/PhD
Honors and Awards
- 2011 ISMS Long-Term Impact Award for paper published in the 5-year period 2001-2006, for article "Communications Strategies and Product Line Design" (Marketing Science, 2004), Finalist.
- 2010 ISMS Long-Term Impact Award for paper published in the 5-year period 2000-2005, for article "Consumer Learning, Brand Loyalty, and Competition" (Marketing Science, 2004), Finalist
- 2009 ISMS Long Term Impact Award for paper published in the 5-year period 1999-2003, for article “Endogeneity in Brand Choice Models” (Management Science, 1999), Winner
- Nomination and Honorable Mention for the Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, 2007
- Finalist for 2005 John D.C. Little Best Paper Award for articles "Bertrand Supertraps" and "The Targeting of Advertising"
- Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, 2003
- Finalist for the Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, 2002
- Grant from the Instituto de Formação Bancária, Lisbon, Portugal, 1994
- Finalist for the 1993 John D. C. Little Best Paper Award for paper "Predicting Advertising Pulsing Policies in an Oligopoly: A Model and Empirical Test," 1994
- National Science Foundation grant for project "Endogeneity in Brand Choice Models," 1993
- Prize Robert Schuman for the dissertation "On Promotions and Advertising Policies: A Strategic Approach," presented at MIT, 1991
- MIT PhD student fellowship, 1987-1991
- PhD program scholarship from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, 1987
- Prize awarded by the Portuguese Association of Automobile Dealerships for the M.Sc. dissertation on the automobile trade regulation in Portugal, 1987
- Prize awarded by the Banco Português do Atlântico to the best student graduating in Economics in the Universidade Católica Portuguesa, 1984
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.