Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
MSA, Northwestern University
BSA, Northwestern University
At Haas since 2001
2008 – present, Lecturer (continuing), Haas School of Business
2013 – present: Member, Professional Faculty Advisory Committee on Teaching (PFACT)
1996 – present: Principal, Upshaw Marketing
2014, Faculty Director, University of Hong Kong “Innovative Management in Global Business” program, Berkeley Center for Executive Education
2011 – 2012, Faculty Director, Berkeley-Nanyang Advanced Management Program (Marketing)
2012, Faculty Director, Shanghai University Leadership Development Program
2001 – 2008, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2007 – 2008, Program Director, Berkeley Executive Leadership Program
1999 – 2001, Senior Consultant to Bridge Strategy management consultants
1997 – 1999, Senior Consultant, Interbrand Group
1994 – 1996, Executive Vice President/Client Brand Marketing, Ketchum Advertising Worldwide
1988 – 1994, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, Ketchum Advertising, San Francisco
External Service and Assignments
- Principal, Upshaw Marketing
- Advisory Board, Gliding Eagle Wine
- Advisory Board, UC Berkeley Extension Program
- Advisory Board, BrandChannel.com
- Advisory Board, THUNDER FACTORY Marketing
- Advisory Board, Presidio School of Management
- Advisory Board, Benchmark Metrics, Inc.
- Advisory Board, CMO Council Brand Protection Committee
- Selected past and present clients: Bayer Corporation, BEA Systems, Bio-Rad Laboratories, BlackRock/iShares, Blue Cross of California, Coverity Software, DTS Digital Cinema, Health Net Inc., Kaiser Permanente, PayPal/eBay, Plantronics, R.H. Donnelley, SBC/AT&T, Sony Corporation, SunPower Corp., TriNet HR Corp., Visa International, Wind River Systems and 3Com Corp., among many others.
Current Research and Interests
- Brand building in competitive markets
- Corporate internal marketing
- Brand/marketing training
- Marketing credibility and integrity
Selected Papers and Publications
- Co-author (with Kristi Raube), “Thrive or Revive? The Kaiser Permanente ‘Thrive’ Marketing Programs” Berkeley-Haas marketing business case, April 2014.
- “Integrating Integrity into IMC.” Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications (Winter 2009).
- “Winning Back American Consumers.” Peking University Business Review (March 2008).
- “Cleaning Up Media Debris.” brandchannel.com (February 2008).
- Truth: The New Rules for Marketing in a Skeptical World. AMACOM Books, 2007.
- “Integrity in Marketing is Not Optional: Why Truth and Credibility Must Necessarily Guide Marketing in an Era of Informed Skepticism.” Advertising Age, 30 July 2007.
- “The Trouble with Food: Ethics and Integrity in Food Marketing.” Advertising Express (India), November 2005.
- “Building a Brand.com.” The Design Management Journal (Winter 2001).
- “Building Business by Building A Masterbrand,” with Earl L. Taylor. The Journal of Brand Management (UK) (Winter 2001).
- “Toughening Your Brand for Tough Times.” Brandweek, 5 March 2001.
- Co-founder and editor, The e.Brand Letter online newsletter.
- The Masterbrand Mandate: The Management Strategy That Unifies Companies and Multiplies Value, with Earl L. Taylor. John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- “Branding A Dot-Com. . .Without The Dot-Com.” ZD Net (Online), September 2000.
- “Treat Your Brand Like Your Stock Portfolio.” Brandweek, 26 April 1999.
- “Transferable Truths of Brand Identity.” The Design Management Journal (Winter 1997).
- “The Internet.” American Association of Advertising Agencies, May 1996.
- Building Brand Identity: A Strategy For Success In A Hostile Marketplace. John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- Strategic Brand Management
- Core Marketing
- Integrated Marketing Communications
Honors and Awards
- Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Weekend MBA Program, 2005
- Weekend MBA Program Member of Faculty Club 6 one or more times every year since 2007
- Lead author of The Masterbrand Mandate (John Wiley, 2000), recipient of the WPP Worldwide Atticus Grand Prix Award, 2001
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]