BSA, Northwestern University
MSA, Northwestern University
At Haas since 2001
2008 - present, Lecturer (Continuing), Haas School of Business
1996 - present: Principal, Upshaw Marketing
2011 - 2012, Faculty Director, Berkeley-Nanyang Advanced Management Program (Marketing)
2012, Faculty Director, Shanghai University Leadership Development Program
2001 - 2008, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2007 - 2008, Program Director, Berkeley Executive Leadership Program
1999 - 2001, Senior Consultant to Bridge Strategy management consultants
1997 - 1999, Senior Consultant, Interbrand Group
1994 - 1996, Executive Vice President/Client Brand Marketing, Ketchum Advertising Worldwide
1988 - 1994, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, Ketchum Advertising, San Francisco
External Service and Assignments
- Principal, Upshaw Marketing
- Advisory Board, Gliding Eagle Wine
- Advisory Board, UC Berkeley Extension Program
- Advisory Board, BrandChannel.com
- Advisory Board, THUNDER FACTORY Marketing
- Advisory Board, Presidio School of Management
- Advisory Board, Benchmark Metrics, Inc.
- Advisory Board, CMO Council Brand Protection Committee
- Selected past and present clients: Kaiser Permanente, BlackRock/iShares, TriNet HR Corp., Visa International, SBC Communications, 3Com Corp., R.H. Donnelley, Digital Theater Systems, Blue Cross of California, NEC Corporation, Wind River Systems, Coverity, Inc., Bayer Corporation, Noosh.com, LG&E Energy, Bank of America, Lucas Learning, Thomson Newspapers, and various national industry associations, among others.
Current Research and Interests
- Brand building in competitive markets
- Corporate internal marketing
- Brand/marketing training
- Marketing credibility and integrity
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Integrating Integrity into IMC." Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications (Winter 2009).
- "Winning Back American Consumers." Peking University Business Review (March 2008).
- "Cleaning Up Media Debris." brandchannel.com (February 2008).
- Truth: The New Rules for Marketing in a Skeptical World. AMACOM Books, 2007.
- "Integrity in Marketing is Not Optional: Why Truth and Credibility Must Necessarily Guide Marketing in an Era of Informed Skepticism." Advertising Age, 30 July 2007.
- "The Trouble with Food: Ethics and Integrity in Food Marketing." Advertising Express (India), November 2005.
- "Building a Brand.com." The Design Management Journal (Winter 2001).
- "Building Business by Building A Masterbrand," with Earl L. Taylor. The Journal of Brand Management (UK) (Winter 2001).
- "Toughening Your Brand for Tough Times." Brandweek, 5 March 2001.
- Co-founder and editor, The e.Brand Letter online newsletter.
- The Masterbrand Mandate: The Management Strategy That Unifies Companies and Multiplies Value, with Earl L. Taylor. John Wiley & Sons, 2000.
- "Branding A Dot-Com. . .Without The Dot-Com." ZD Net (Online), September 2000.
- "Treat Your Brand Like Your Stock Portfolio." Brandweek, 26 April 1999.
- "Transferable Truths of Brand Identity." The Design Management Journal (Winter 1997).
- "The Internet." American Association of Advertising Agencies, May 1996.
- Building Brand Identity: A Strategy For Success In A Hostile Marketplace. John Wiley & Sons, 1995.
- Strategic Brand Management
- Core Marketing
- Integrated Marketing Communications
Honors and Awards
- Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Weekend MBA Program, 2005
- Weekend MBA Program Member of Faculty Club 6 one or more times every year since 2007
- Lead author of The Masterbrand Mandate (John Wiley, 2000), recipient of the WPP Worldwide Atticus Grand Prix Award, 2001
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.