Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
BA, Economics, Smith College
At Haas since 1990
2016 – present, Distinguished Professor of the Graduate School
2006 – present, Chair, Board of Trustees, Blum Center for Developing Economies
2013 – present, Faculty Director, Institute for Business & Social Impact
2013 – 2016, Professor of Business Administration and Economics
2008 – 2013, S. K. and Angela Chan Chair in Global Management
2007 – 2008, Professor, Haas School of Business
2002 – 2006, Dean, London Business School
1998 – 2001, Dean, Haas School of Business
1997 – 2001, Principal, Law and Economics Consulting Group
1990 – 2001, Professor, Haas School of Business
1977 – 2001, Professor, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley
1995 – 1996, Chairman, National Economic Council
1993 – 1995, Chairman, President’s Council of Economic Advisers
1990 – 1992, Director of the Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley
1988 – 1992, Director of Research, Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley
1974 – 1977, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Princeton University
External Service and Assignments
- Former Member, Semiconductor Working Group, President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology
- Former Member, President Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness
- Former Member, President’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board
- Former Member, U.S. Department of State, Foreign Affairs Policy Board
- Former Board Member, Science, Technology and Economic Policy, The National Academies
- Board of Trustees, Bay Area Council Economic Institute
- Organizer, Berkeley Work and Intelligent Tools and Systems (WITS)
- Member of Corporate Boards: AT&T Inc.; CBRE Group Inc.; Lexmark International Inc.; Apex Swiss Holdings SARL Advisory Board: Generation Investment Management; H&Q Asia Pacific; Observatory Group; Afiniti; Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing
- Advisory Council: The Brookings Institution, Hamilton Project; Social Finance US
- Chair of Board of Trustees & Steering Committee Member, Blum Center for Developing Economies
- Senior Advisor: McKinsey Global Institute; The Rock Creek Group;
- Special Advisor: Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth; Berkeley Research Group
- Senior External Advisor, McKinsey Global Institute
- Economic Advisory Council and Board of Trustees, Center for American Progress
- Editorial Advisory Board, The International Economy
- Task Force Member, Rework America, Markle Foundation
- Co-Chair, Global Future Council on Education, Gender and Work, World Economic Forum
- Berggruen Institute: Think Long Committee for California; 21st Century Council
- Economic Advisor, Alliance for Competitive Taxation
- International Advisory Council, Bocconi University
- Board member: Opportunity Institute; The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board Foundation
Current Research and Interests
- Changes in the global economy, with special focus on high-technology competition and disruption from automation and artificial intelligence
- U.S. trade policy
- Women’s economic empowerment
Selected Papers and Publications
- Project Syndicate, articles appear monthly, December 2011 – present.
- The New York Times Economix Blog, articles appeared monthly, March 2011 – April 2014.
- Mendonca, Lenny and Laura Tyson. The New Era of Progressive Federalism. Policy Paper. New America, February 2018.
- Spence, Michael and Laura D. Tyson. “Exploring the Effects of Technology on Income and Wealth Inequality.” After Piketty, The Agenda for Economics and Inequality, Edited by Heather Boushey, J. Bradford DeLong and Marshall Steinbaum. Harvard University Press, May 2017.
- Tyson, Laura and Jennifer Walske. Berkeley Haas Case Studies: Better Ventures: Backing Entrepreneurs, Building a Better World (2017): Bridges Fund Management (2017); Sanergy: Tackling Sanitation in Kenyan Slums (2016); Revolution Foods (2015); Fair Trade USA (2015).
- Klugman, Jeni and Laura Tyson. Leave No One Behind: A call for action for gender equality and women’s economic empowerment. UN Secretary-General’s High Level Panel on Women’s Economic Empowerment, September 2016.
- Tyson, Laura et al. Global Gender Gap Report (2006 – Present), World Economic Forum.
- Mendonca, Lenny and Laura Tyson. “Entrepreneurs: Spread the Start-Up Wealth Around.” Democracy Journal, Summer 2016 No. 41.
- Tyson, Laura and Jennifer Walske. “Built to Scale: A comparative case analysis, assessing how social enterprises scale.” The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 16. No. 4 (November 2015): 269-281.
- Testimony before the Joint Economic Council Hearing on “Lessons from Reagan: How Tax Growth Can Boost Economic Growth.” July 31, 2013.
- Tyson, Laura et al. Research Universities and the Future of America: Ten Breakthrough Actions Vital to Our Nation’s Prosperity and Security, Committee on Research Universities, Board on Higher Education and Workforce Policy and Global Affairs, Washington, DC, June 2012.
- Slaughter, Matthew. A Warning Sign from Global Companies. Harvard Business Review, March 2012.
- Tyson, Laura and Greg Linden. The Corporate R&D Tax Credit and U.S. Innovation and Competitiveness. Center for American Progress, January 2012.
- Tyson, Laura et al. Road Map to Renewal: Invest in our future, Build on our strengths, Play to win. Report of the President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, 2012.
- Tyson, Laura D’Andrea et al. The Benefits for the U.S. Economy of a Temporary Reduction on the Repatriation of Foreign Subsidiary Earnings. Prepared for the New America Foundation. Berkeley Research Group Working Paper, Fall 2011.
- Tyson, Laura et. al. U.S. Trade and Investment Policy: Independent Task Force Report No. 67. Council on Foreign Relations, 2011.
- Roach, Stephen S. and Laura Tyson. “Opportunities and Challenges in the US-China Economic Relationship.” Testimony presented before the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, June 23, 2010. (An abridged version appears in June 24, 2010 Morgan Stanley Report.)
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Degree: American University, 1995; Smith College, 1994; University of Lausanne, Faculty of Business and Economics, 2011
- London Business School Fellow, July 7, 2010
- Club 6 Member, Haas School of Business, (for teaching excellence, based on student evaluations), 2008, 2010
- Elected member of Council on Foreign Relations, 1987
- University of California, Berkeley, Distinguished Teaching Award, Spring 1982
- National Fellows Program Fellowship, Hoover Institution, 1978-1979
- American Council of Learned Societies Grant, Spring Term 1977, 1978, 1979
- Sloan Foundation Grant, Summer 1976
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, NDEA TITLE IV Fellowship; Fulbright Fellowship; International Research and Exchanges Board Study Grant
- Smith College, Phi Beta Kappa
- Smith College Prize for distinguished work in Economics
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]