BA, Economics, Smith College
PhD, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
At Haas since 1990
2008 - present, S. K. and Angela Chan Chair in Global Management
2007 - 2008, Professor, Haas School of Business
2002 - 2006, Dean, London Business School
1998 - 2001, Dean, Haas School of Business
1997 - 2001, Principal, Law and Economics Consulting Group
1990 - 2001, Professor, Haas School of Business
1977 - 2001, Professor, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley
1995 - 1996, Chairman, National Economic Council
1993 - 1995, Chairman, President's Council of Economic Advisors
1990 - 1992, Director of the Institute of International Studies, UC Berkeley
1988 - 1992, Director of Research, Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley
1974 - 1977, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Princeton University
External Service and Assignments
- Member, President Obama’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness
- Member, Secretary Clinton’s Foreign Affairs Policy Board
- Board Member, Science, Technology and Economic Policy, The National Academies
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Bay Area Council Economic Institute
- Member of Corporate Boards: AT&T Inc.; Morgan Stanley; CBRE Group Inc.; Silver Spring Networks
- Advisory Board: Generation Investment Management; H&Q Asia Pacific; Newman’s Own Foundation; Observatory Group
- Advisory Council, The Brookings Institution, Hamilton Project
- Chair of Board of Trustees & Steering Committee Member, Blum Center for Developing Economies
- Member of Board of Directors (Not for profit): Peter G. Peterson Institute of International Economics
- Senior Advisor: McKinsey Global Institute; Berkeley Research Group; The Rock Creek Group; Credit Suisse Research Institute
- Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress
- Member, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Corporation
- Commissioner, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
- Member, Committee on Capital Markets Regulation
- Chair, Global Agenda Council on Women’s Empowerment, World Economic Forum
- Advisor, Samsung SDS
- Member, 21st Century Council, Nicolas Berggruen Institute
- Member, Think Long Committee for California, Nicolas Berggruen Institute
- Board of Trustees, Jacobs Foundation
Current Research and Interests
- Changes in the global economy, with special focus on high-technology competition
- Doing business in emerging market economies
- US trade policy
Selected Papers and Publications
- Tyson, Laura and Greg Linden. The Corporate R&D Tax Credit and U.S. Innovation and Competitiveness. Center for American Progress, January 2012.
- Tyson, Laura et al. Road Map to Renewal: Invest in our future, Build on our strengths, Play to win. Report of the President’s Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, 2012.
- Tyson, Laura D’Andrea et al. The Benefits for the U.S. Economy of a Temporary Reduction on the Repatriation of Foreign Subsidiary Earnings. Prepared for the New America Foundation. Berkeley Research Group Working Paper, Fall 2011.
- Tyson, Laura et. al. U.S. Trade and Investment Policy: Independent Task Force Report No. 67. Council on Foreign Relations, 2011.
- Roach, Stephen S. and Laura Tyson. “Opportunities and Challenges in the US-China Economic Relationship.” Testimony presented before the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee, June 23, 2010. (An abridged version appears in June 24, 2010 Morgan Stanley Report).
- "A Progressive Agenda for Competitiveness and Trade" in Change for America, A Progressive Blueprint for the 44th President, ed. Mark Green and Michele Jolin, 2009.
- Economic Report of the President 1994, with Martin Baily and Joseph Stiglitz. Government Printing Office, 1995.
- Economic Report of the President 1993, with Alan Blinder and Joseph Stiglitz. Government Printing Office, 1994.
- Who's Bashing Whom? Trade Conflict in High-Technology Industries. Institute of International Economics, 1992.
- The Politics of Productivity: The Real Story of Why Japan Works, edited with Chalmers Johnson and John Zysman. Ballinger Publishing Co., 1989. (Editor.)
- The Dynamics of Trade and Employment, edited with William T. Dickens and John Zysman. Ballinger Publishing Co., 1988. (Editor.)
- Power, Purpose and Collective Choice: Economic Strategy in Socialist States, Special Issue of International Organization 40, no. 2 (Spring 1986). (Editor, with Ellen Comisso.)
- Economic Adjustment in Eastern Europe. The RAND Corporation, 1984.
- American Industry in International Competition: Political and Economic Perspectives, edited with John Zysman. Cornell University Press, 1983. (Editor.)
- The Yugoslav Economic System and Its Performance in the 1970s. University of California at Berkeley, 1980.
- The Impact of External Economic Disturbances on the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, edited with Egon Neuberger. Pergamon Press, 1980. (Editor.)
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Degree: American University, 1995; Smith College, 1994; University of Lausanne, Faculty of Business and Economics, 2011
- London Business School Fellow, July 7, 2010
- Club 6 Member, Haas School of Business, (for teaching excellence, based on student evaluations), 2008, 2010
- Elected member of Council on Foreign Relations, 1987
- University of California, Berkeley, Distinguished Teaching Award, Spring 1982
- National Fellows Program Fellowship, Hoover Institution, 1978-1979
- American Council of Learned Societies Grant, Spring Term 1977, 1978, 1979
- Sloan Foundation Grant, Summer 1976
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, NDEA TITLE IV Fellowship; Fulbright Fellowship; International Research and Exchanges Board Study Grant
- Smith College, Phi Beta Kappa
- Smith College Prize for distinguished work in Economics
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.