BA, Loyola University
MBA, Harvard University
PhD, University of California, Berkeley
At Haas since 1994
1994 - present, Senior Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2004 - present, Visiting Professor, University of Geneva International Organizations MBA Program, Geneva, Switzerland
2002 - present, Visiting Professor, SASIN Graduate Institute of Business, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
2001 - present, Visiting Professor, AVT School of Business, Copenhagen, Denmark
2007 - 2008, Visiting Professor, NIDA (National Institute of Development Administration), Bangkok, Thailand
2004 - 2007, Visiting Professor, CEIBS Executive MBA program (China-Europe International Business School), Shanghai, China
1983 - 1990, Assistant Professor, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
1981 - 1983, Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
1977 - 1980, Adjunct Professor of Management, Golden Gate University, San Francisco
External Service and Assignments
- Assistant to the President, Western Mortgage Corporation (subsidiary of Unionamerica, Inc.)
- Management Consultant, Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.
- Management Consultant, MacDonald & Co.
- Senior Administrative Analyst, County of Los Angeles
Selected Papers and Publications
- Business Plans for Dummies, with Steven Peterson. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley & Son, 2005.
- Business Plans for Dummies, with Steven Peterson), San Francisco: IDG Books, 1997
- "The American Steel Industry," in Encyclopedia of American Business History and Biography. Columbia, SC: Bruccoli Clark Layman, 1994.
- "Corporate Culture and Corporate Change: The Origins of Industrial Research at the United States Steel Corporation, 1901-1929," in Pioneers of Industrial Research, edited by David Hounshell. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1990.
- "The Rise of Japanese Lobbying in America." Chief Executive 59 (January/February 1990): 62-66.
- The Decline of American Steel, How Management, Labor and Government Went Wrong. New York: Oxford University Press, 1988. (Translated into Japanese, 1989, as Kyodai sangyo to tatakau shidosha, america tekkogyo no kubo.)
- "Opportunity Denied: The Abortive Attempt to Internalize the American Steel Industry, 1903-1929." Business and Economic History 16, second series (1987): 229-247.
- Competitive and Corporate Strategy, MBA 299E
- Strategy in a Global Context, XMBA 217
- Global Strategy, MBA 299B
Honors and Awards
- Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Berkeley-Columbia Executive MBA program, 2003, 2004
- Outstanding Instructor Award, University of California, Berkeley Extension Program, 2002
- Finalist, Booze Allen/Financial Times best business book of year award, 1998 (for Business Plans for Dummies)
- University of Pennsylvania Lindback Award, 1990
- Nominee, Academy of Management George R Terry Award for outstanding book on management, 1989
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.