Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Financial Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden
Bachelor in Economics, Stockholm School of Economics, Sweden
At Haas since 2015
2009-present, Norwegian School of Economics, Norway
2011-present, Research Chair Professor of Finance
2010-2011, DnB NOR Professor of Finance
2009-2010, Professor of Finance
1998-2009, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire
2002-2009, Associate Professor of Finance
1998-2002, Assistant Professor of Finance
Spring term (March-April) 2016, Visiting Professor, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Spring term (April-May) 2010-2016, Visiting Professor, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College
November 2014, Senior Visitor, SAFE, Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
October 2012, Visiting Scholar, London Business School, UK
Nov-Dec 2011, Visiting Professorial Fellow, Australian Business School, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
External Service and Assignments
- Director of the Board, SEB Investment Management AB, 2016-present
- Director, Executive Committee of the European Finance Association, 2014-2016
- Director of the Board, Nordea Bank Norge ASA, 2010-1016
- Research Affiliate, Financial Economics Programme of the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London, 2002-present
- Research Associate, the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI), Brussels, 2004-present
- Scientific Board, European Center for Corporate Control Studies (ECCCS), Lille, 2009-present
- Scientific Advisory Board, Centre for Finance at Gothenburg University, 2011-present
- International Advisory Board, Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki, 2012-present
- Lindenauer Research Associate, the Lindenauer Center for Corporate Governance, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, New Hampshire, USA, 2010-present
- Member of the Academic Advisory Council to the Turnaround Management Association (TMA), USA, 2003-present
- Associate Director, Lindenauer Center for Corporate Governance, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, New Hampshire, USA, 2001-2009
- Member of “Club 6”, Haas School of Business, University of California Berkeley, 2015
Current Research and Interests
- Bidder gains and bidding tactics in takeovers
- CEO career and compensation changes in bankruptcy
- Underpricing in IPOs
- Board gender quotas
Selected Papers and Publications
- Eckbo, B. Espen, Karin Thorburn and Wei Wang, 2016, “How costly is corporate bankruptcy for the CEO?” Journal of Financial Economics 121 (1), 210-229.
- Betton, Sandra, B. Espen Eckbo, Rex Thompson, and Karin S. Thorburn, 2014, “Merger negotiations with stock market feedback,” Journal of Finance 69(4), 1705-1745.
- Fisher-Vanden, Karen, and Karin S. Thorburn, 2011, “Voluntary corporate environmental initiatives and shareholder wealth,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 62(3), 430-455.
- Betton, Sandra, B. Espen Eckbo and Karin S. Thorburn, 2009, “Merger negotiations and the toehold puzzle,” Journal of Financial Economics 91, 158-178.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, and Karin S. Thorburn, 2008, “Automatic bankruptcy auctions and fire-sales,” Journal of Financial Economics 89, 404-422.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, and Karin S. Thorburn, 2003, “Control benefits and CEO discipline in automatic bankruptcy auctions,” Journal of Financial Economics 69 (1), 227-258.
- Thorburn, Karin S., 2000, “Bankruptcy auctions: Costs, debt recovery, and firm survival,” Journal of Financial Economics 58(3), 337-368, lead article.
- Mergers & Acquisitions (EWMBA 236E)
Honors and Awards
- Master student’s award for teaching excellence, Norwegian School of Economics, 2015
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]