BA, MComm, University of Canterbury
MA, University of Pennsylvania
PhD, Economics, University of Pennsylvania
At Haas since 1982
2012 - present, Faculty Director, Institute for Business Innovation
2009 - present, Director, Center for Global Strategy and Governance
1994 - 2009, Director, Institute of Management, Innovation and Organization (IMIO), UC Berkeley 2007 - 2008, Thomas W. Tusher Chair in Global Business
1989 - 2007, Mitsubishi Bank Chair in International Business and Finance
1983 - 1994, Director, Center for Research in Management (CRM), University of California, Berkeley
1989, Visiting Fellow, St. Catherine's College, Oxford University, and Oxford Institute for Energy Studies
1978 - 1982, Associate Professor of Business Economics, Stanford University
1978 - 1979, Visiting Associate Professor of Economics, University of Pennsylvania
1975 - 1978, Assistant Professor of Business Economics, Stanford University
External Service and Assignments
- Co-editor and co-founder, Industrial and Corporate Change (Oxford University Press)
- Member, American Economic Association, Licensing Executives Society, Council on Foreign Relations, International Joseph A. Schumpeter Society, Benjamin Franklin Society
- Chairman, Berkeley Research Group
Current Research and Interests
- Role of product and process development, and intellectual property in the competitive performance of the business enterprise
- Competitive performance of firms in the global marketplace
- Innovation and the organization of industry
- Technology and intellectual property policy, telecommunications policy, antitrust policy, and energy policy at the national and international levels
- Strategic management and corporate governance
- Human capital and business organization
Selected Papers and Publications
- Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management: Organizing for Innovation and Growth. Oxford University Press, 2009.
- The Transfer and Licensing of Know-How and Intellectual Property: Understanding the Multinational Enterprise in the Modern World. World Scientific Publishing, 2008. World Scientific Publishing, 2008.
- Technological Know-How, Organizational Capabilities and Strategic Management. World Scientific Publishing, 2008.
- Managing Intellectual Capital: Organizational, Strategic, and Policy Dimensions. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Economic Performance and the Theory of the Firm: The Selected Papers of David Teece.Vols 1 and 2. London: Edward Elgar Publishing, 1998.
- Antitrust, Innovation and Competitiveness, edited with Thomas M. Jorde. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Management of Innovation and Change: Knowledge, Intellectual Capital and Competitive Advantage, MBA 290I.1
- Technology Dynamics and Firm Strategy, PhD BA279C
Honors and Awards
- Herbert Simon award, 2011
- Identified by Accenture as one of the World’s Top 50 Living Business Intellectuals
- Winner of the 2003 Best Paper Prize Award of the Strategic Management Journal: "Dynamic Capabilities and Strategic Management."
- Viipuri International Prize in Strategic (Technology) Management and Business Economics
- Honorary Doctorate, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 2008
- Honorary Doctorate, St. Petersburg State University, Russia, 2000
- Honorary Doctorate, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark, March 2004
- Honorary Doctorate, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland, May 2004
- Listed by Science Watch (November/December 2005) as one of the ten most cited scholars worldwide in economics and business, 1995 - 2005.
- Listed by Science Watch (November/December 2005) as lead author in the most cited paper worldwide in business and economics, 1995 - 2005.
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.