BS, Industrial Engineering, Stanford University
PhD, Management Science & Engineering, Stanford University
At Haas since 2007
2011 - present, Milton W. Terrill Chair in Business Administration and Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2007 - 2011, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2006 - 2007, Visiting Associate Professor, Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth College
2005 - 2007, Barbara and Meyer Feldberg Associate Professor, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University
2004 - 2005, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University
2001 - 2004, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Business, Columbia University
2000 - 2001, Director of Research, Global Supply Chain Management Forum, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
1994 - 1996, Business Analyst, McKinsey & Company
External Service and Assignments
- Associate Editor for Management Science
- Associate Editor for Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- Associate Editor for Operations Research
- Departmental Editor for Production and Operations Management
Current Research and Interests
- Social responsibility in operations management
- Economics of operations management
- Supply chain management
- Marketing-operations interface
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Supplier Evasion of a Buyer’s Audit: Implications for Motivating Supplier Social and Environmental Responsibility." with E. Plambeck. (2015) Forthcoming in Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
- “Donor Product-Subsidies to Increase Consumption: Implications of Consumer Awareness and Profit-Maximizing Intermediaries” with W. Xiao (2014) Working Paper.
- "Subsidizing the Distribution Channel: Donor Funding to Improve the Availability of Malaria Drugs" with W. Xiao Management Science. 60, no. 10 (2014): 2461 - 2477.
- "On the Value of Input-Efficiency, Capacity-Efficiency, and the Flexibility to Rebalance Them" with E. Plambeck. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 15, no. 4 (2013): 630-639.
- "Competitors as Whistle-blowers in Enforcement of Product Standards" with E. Plambeck. (2012) Working Paper.
- "Does a Manufacturer Benefit from Selling to a Better-Forecasting Retailer?" with W. Xiao.Management Science 56, no. 9 (2010): 1548-1598.
- "Incentives for Retailer Forecasting: Rebates versus Returns" with W. Xiao. Management Science 55, no. 10 (2009): 1654-1669.
- "Product Line Design and Production Technology" with S. Netessine. Marketing Science 26, no. 1 (2007): 101-117.
- "Supply Chain Relationships and Contracts: The Impact of Repeated Interaction on Capacity Investment and Procurement" with E. Plambeck. Management Science 53, no. 10 (2007): 1577-1593.
- "Implications of Breach Remedy and Renegotiation Design for Innovation and Capacity" with E. Plambeck. Management Science 53, no. 12 (2007): 1859-1872.
- "Partnership in a Dynamic Production System with Unobservable Actions and Noncontractible Output" with E. Plambeck. Management Science 52, no. 10 (2006): 1509-1527.
- Operations Management, MBA 204A
Honors and Awards
- Barbara and Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow, Haas School of Business, 2010 - 2011 and 2013 - present
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2009, 2011
- Wickham Skinner Early-Career Research Accomplishments Award, 2005
- Columbia Business School Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence in a Core Course, 2003
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.