Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
BA, Economics, Carleton College
At Haas since 2010
2012 – present, Professor, Haas School of Business
2012 – present, Leo Helzel Chair in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Haas School of Business
2012 – present, Faculty Director, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
2010 – 2012, Visiting Professor, Haas School of Business
2006 – 2010, Charles Edward Wilson Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
2004 – 2006, Arthur J. Samberg Professor of Leadership and Strategy; Academic Director, Lang Center for Entrepreneurship, Columbia Business School
2000 – 2003, Fred Steingraber A.T. Kearney Professor of Organizations & Strategy, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago
1999, Associate Professor of Organizations & Strategy, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago
1995 – 1999, Assistant Professor of Organizations & Strategy, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago
1989 – 1991, Research Associate, Graduate School of Business, Harvard University
External Service and Assignments
- Doctoral Policy Committee, Harvard Business School
- EM Unit Doctoral Coordinator, Harvard Business School
- Academic Director, Lang Center for Entrepreneurship, Columbia Business School
- Head of Management Department doctoral program, Columbia Business School
- Chair of Management Department search committee, Columbia Business School
- Head of doctoral program in O&M group, Chicago
- Administrative head of O&M group, Chicago
- Editorial Board Member: Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Research Policy, Administrative Science Quarterly, Industrial and Corporate Change
- Ad Hoc Reviewer: American Journal of Sociology, American Sociological Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Management Science, Organization Science, Industrial and Corporate Change, Journal of Law and Economics, Sociological Quarterly.
Current Research and Interests
- Corporate strategy
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Board interlocks and the propensity to be targeted in PE-backed take privates” (with Soojin Yim). Journal of Financial Economics, 2010.
- “The impact of academic patenting on the rate and direction of (public) research output” (with Pierre Azoulay and Waverly Ding). Journal of Industrial Economics, 2009.
- “The evolution of venture capital investment networks” (with Olav Sorenson). Administrative Science Quarterly, 2008.
- “Brokerage in a Vertical Alliance Network” (with Salih Ozdemir and Waverly Ding). Research Policy, 2007.
- “Network effects in the governance of strategic alliances” (with David Robinson). Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2007.
Honors and Awards
- Elected to Sociological Research Association, 2009
- University of Southern California’s Grief Award for Research Impact for paper in Entrepreneurship, 2008
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation Prize Medal for Distinguished Research in Entrepreneurship, 2006
- Administrative Science Quarterly’s Award for Scholarly Contribution, 2006
- Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence, Columbia Business School, 2004
- NSF Research Grant, 2003
- Voted “outstanding faculty member” by MBA students in Business Week’s Guide to the Best Business Schools, 2001
- Research grants from the Kauffman Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998
- FMC Scholar, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, 1997
- State Farm Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, 1994
- Doctoral Program Merit Scholarship, Stanford University, 1992
- Awarded stipend to participate in Stanford Seminar on Social Theory, 1992
- National Doctoral Fellowship, AACSB, 1991
- Summa Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, Carleton College, 1989
- Unanimous distinction on senior thesis, Carleton College, 1989
- A.M. Harrison Prize awarded to outstanding economics major, Carleton College, 1989
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]