BA, Swarthmore College
PhD, Economics and Social Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
At Haas since 1960
1992 - present, Professor Emeritus, Haas School of Business
1961 - 1991, Professor, Haas School of Business
1959 - 1961, Professor, University of Buffalo
1957 - 1959, Associate Professor, University of Buffalo
1954 - 1957, Assistant Professor, University of Buffalo
1951 - 1954, Research Associate (post-doc), Cornell University
University of Sydney, Cardiff, Western Australia and Trier Fulbright Scholar, Australia
External Service and Assignments
- Member, Mayor’s Budget Committee, City of Berkeley
- Editor, Industrial Relations
- Member or former member of following editorial boards: Industrial Relations, Human Relations, New Zealand Journal of Industrial Relations, International Journal of Human Resources Management, International Journal of Employment Studies
Current Research and Interests
- Internal union government
- Comparative industrial relations
- History of organizational behavior
Selected Papers and Publications
- "HRM in the US: Correcting Some British Impressions." International Journal of Human Resources Management 12 (2001) 873.
- "What’s Happening Inside US Unions: Democracy and Union Politics." Journal of Labor Research 21 (1999): 211-226.
- Human Resources Policy, with L. Sayles. Dame, 1999.
- Organizational Participation: Myth or Reality, with F. Heller, E. Pusic, and B. Wilpert. Oxford, 1999.
- "Issues in Union Structure," edited by S. Bacharach. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 12 (1994): 1.
- "Present at the Beginning: Some Personal Notes on OB’s Early Days and Later," in Management Laureates, edited by A. Bedeian. JAI Press, 1993.
- "Against the Tide: Projects and Pathways of the New Generation of Union Leaders: 1984-2001," with Marshall Ganz, Kim Voss, Teresa Sharpe and Carl Somers, in Rebuilding Labor: Organizing and Organizers, edited by Ruth Milkman and Kim Voss. Cornell: 2004.
- Researching the World of Work: Strategies and Methods of Studying Industrial Relations, with K. Whitfield. Cornell, 1998.
Honors and Awards
- A.J. Marrow Award, Society for Psychological Study of Social Issues, 1953
- Fellow, Academy of Management
- Berkeley Citation
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.