BA, with Highest Honors, Political Economy of Industrial Societies, UC Berkeley
MPP, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
PhD, City and Regional Planning, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 1998
2007 - present, Senior Assistant Dean for Instruction, Haas School of Business
2006 - 2007, Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Planning and Facilities, UC Berkeley
2005 - 2007, Senior Research Associate, Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley
2005 - 2006, Project Manager, Review of UC Berkeley, Information Technology (IT), Governance, Funding and Structure, Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
2003 - 2004, Executive Director, UC Berkeley Project on Information Technology and Homeland Security, Goldman School of Public Policy
1998 - 2003, Associate Dean, School Affairs and Initiatives (Chief Operating Officer), Haas School of Business
1995 - 1998, Director, Research Policy and Development University of California Office of the President (UCOP)
1993 - 1995, Senior Economist, Science and Technology White House Council of Economic Advisers, Executive Office of the President, Washington, DC
External Service and Assignments
- Working Group Research Compliance, USA PATRIOT Act Steering Committee, UC Berkeley
- Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research, University-Industry Relations Search Committee
- Richmond Field Station Study Committee
- NASA/Ames Task Force, UC Berkeley
- Member, Council of Foreign Relations Study Group on the Changing Defense Industrial Base
- Adviser on Defense Conversion Issues, Los Alamon National Laboratory
Selected Papers and Publications
- "War Makes the State, But Not As It Pleases: Homeland Security and American Anti-Statism," with Matthew Kroenig. Security Studies (August 2006).
- "Secrets to Shield or Share? New Dilemmas for Military R&D Policy in the Digital Age."Research Policy 33 (2004): 257-269.
- "The Dual-Use Dilemma." Issues in Science and Technology 13, no. 2 (Winter 1996-1997): 56-64.
- "America's Technical Fix: The Pentagon's Dual Use Strategy, TRP, and the Political Economy of U.S. Technology Policy in the Clinton Era." A BRIE Research Paper, Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley (June 1996).
- "The Economics of Technology and Trade." Business America (August 1994): 6-7.
- "Conversion to Competitiveness: Making the Most of the National Labs," with Burgess Laird.The American Prospect (Fall 1992).
Honors and Awards
- Consultant, Ministry of Culture, Government of Spain, April 1987
- Continuing exceptional Principal Investigator status, UC Berkeley, granted March 1, 2002
- Select participant, University of California Management Institute (UCMI), Summer 1997
- Ploughshares Fund Study Grant, 1993
- Phi Beta Kappa, UC Berkeley, 1982
- UC Berkeley, Certificate of Distinction (nominated for the University Medal as one of the ten top graduating seniors of the Class of 1982)
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.