BA, University of Oregon
MBA, University of Michigan
PhD, Organizational Behavior, Northwestern University
At Haas since 1980
2009 - present, Lorraine Tyson Mitchell Chair in Leadership and Communication I, Haas School of Business
1980 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1978 - 1980, Professor, Departments of Organizational Behavior and Psychology, Northwestern University
1975 - 1978, Associate Professor, Departments of Organizational Behavior and Psychology, Northwestern University
1974 - 1975, Resident Fellow, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois
1972 - 1975, Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Anderson School of Management, UCLA
Department of Management Sciences, University of Iowa
External Service and Assignments
- Member or former member of following editorial boards: Academy of Management Journal,Administrative Science Quarterly, Journal of Applied Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Motivation and Emotion, Basic and Applied Psychology, The Quarterly Review of Economics and Business
- Founder and co-editor: Research in Organizational Behavior, an annual series of analytical essays and critical reviews recently rated as one of the ten most heavily cited periodicals in the social sciences.
- Editor: The Psychological Foundations of Organizational Behavior, Psychological Dimensions of Organizational Behavior
- Co-editor of New Directions in Organizational Behavior, and author of more than 50 articles and book chapters.
- Fellow: American Psychological Association, American Psychological Society, and Academy of Management.
Current Research and Interests
- Escalation of commitment to organizational decisions
- Emotional expression in the workplace
- Dispositional approaches to job attitudes
- Creativity and organizational innovation
- Work motivation
Selected Papers and Publications
- The Trouble with JDM: Some Limitations to the Influence of JDM on Organizational Research. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2010, 3, 411-416 PDF
- The Psychology of Rivalry: A Relationally-dependent Conception of Competition (with Gavin Kilduff and Hillary Elfenbein), Academy of Management Journal, 2010, 53, 943-969. PDF
- Is Group Creativity Really an Oxymoron? Some Thoughts on Bridging The Cohesion-Creativity Divide. In Elizabeth Mannix, Margaret Neal, & Jack Goncalo (eds.) Creativity in Groups, Research on Managing Groups and Teams, Vol. 12, Emerald Publishing, 2009. PDF
- Individualism-Collectivism and Group Creativity (with Jack Goncalo), Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 2006, 100, 96-109. PDF
- "Lend Me Your Wallets: The Effect of Charismatic Leadership on External Support for an Organization," with F. Flynn. Strategic Management Journal. PDF
- "The Dispositional Approach To Job Satisfaction: More Than A Mirage, But Not Yet An Oasis," with Yochi Cohen-Charash. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- "What Bandwagons Bring: Effects of Popular Management Techniques on Corporate Performance, Reputation, and CEO Pay," with Lisa Epstein. Administrative Science Quarterly 45 (2000): 523-556.
- "Affect and Favorable Work Outcomes: Two Longitudinal Tests of the Happy-Productive Worker Thesis," with T.A. Wright. Journal of Organizational Behavior 20 (1999) 1-23.
- "Escalation and the Credit Window: A Longitudinal Study of Bank Executives' Recognition and Write-Off of Problem Loans," with S. Barsade and K. Koput. Journal of Applied Psychology 82 (1997): 130-142. PDF
- Why no one really wants creativity. In C.M. Ford & D. A. Gioia (Eds.). Creative Action in Organizations: Ivory Tower Visions and Real World Voices. Sage Publications, 1996. PDF
- "Sunk Costs in the NBA: Why Draft Order Affects Playing Time and Survival in Professional Basketball," with H. Hoang. Administrative Science Quarterly 40 (1995) 474-494.
- "What Theory Is Not," with R.I. Sutton. Administrative Science Quarterly 40 (1995): 371-384. PDF
- "Organizational Escalation and Exit: The Case of the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant," with J. Ross. Academy of Management Journal 36 (1993): 701-732.
- Organizational Behavior, E 205 1A and 2A
- Seminar in Micro Organizational Behavior, 254-1
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Organizational Behavior Division of the Academy of Management, 2008
- Irwin/ McGraw-Hill Award for Scholarly Contributions, Academy of Management, 1999
- Elected Fellow, Academy of Management
- Elected Fellow, American Psychological Association and American Psychological Society
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, PhD Program, 1989
- Scholarly Contribution Award, Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management, 1987
- Scholarly Contribution Award for best paper published during 1993 in the Academy of Management Journal, 1993
- American Management Association/Organizational Dynamics Award, Organizational Behavior Division, Academy of Management, best paper submitted to annual meeting, 1994
- American Psychological Association Dissertation Award (Division of Industrial and Organizational Psychology), second place, 1972
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.