AB, Economics, magna cum laude, Harvard College
MBA, Harvard Business School
AM, Sociology, Harvard University
PhD, Organizational Behavior/Sociology, Harvard University
At Haas since July 2012
2012 - present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1993 - 1997; 1999-2007, Partner, Monitor Group, a global management consultancy
Current Research and Interests
- Organizational Sociology
- Organizational Theory
- Network Analysis
- Culture and Cognition
- Economic Sociology
- Research Design and Methods
Selected Papers and Publications
- Srivastava, Sameer B. and Mahzarin R. Banaji. 2011. “Culture, Cognition, and Collaborative Networks in Organizations.” American Sociological Review. 76: 207-233. –Included in syllabus of PhD-level network analysis courses at: Department of Sociology, Harvard University; Haas School of Business, University of California – Berkeley; Department of Sociology, Indiana University; Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.
- Marsden, Peter V. and Sameer B. Srivastava. 2012. “Trends in Informal Social Participation, 1974 – 2008.” In Marsden, Peter V., Social Trends in the United States, 1972-2000s: Evidence from the General Social Survey. Princeton University Press.
- Gulati, Ranjay and Sameer B. Srivastava. Forthcoming. “Bringing Agency Back into Organizational Network Analysis.” Research in the Sociology of Organizations.
- Srivastava, Sameer B. “Network Intervention: A Field Experiment to Assess the Effects of Formal Mentoring on Workplace Networks.”
- Liu, Christopher C., Sameer B. Srivastava, and Toby E. Stuart. “An Intra-Organizational Ecology of Individual Attainment.”
- Srivastava, Sameer B. “Social Capital Activation, Uncertainty, and Organizational Restructuring.”
- Srivastava, Sameer B. “Threat, Opportunity and the Mobilization of Social Resources within Organizations.”
- Srivastava, Sameer B. and András Tilcsik. “Stigma, Sympathy, and Social Capital Activation in Job Searches.”
- Power and Politics, Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley, Spring 2013
Honors and Awards
- State Farm Companies Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2011
- Selected to Academy of Management OMT/MOC Doctoral Symposium, 2011
- Best Paper Award in Organizational Behavior, Trans-Atlantic Doctoral Conference, London Business School, 2011.
- Certificate of Distinction in Teaching, Harvard’s Derek Bok Center, 1998, 2010.
- Finalist, Aage B. Sorensen Memorial Award for the Most Outstanding Research Paper, Department of Sociology, Harvard University, 2009.
- Distinction, Ph.D. Qualifying Paper, Harvard Sociology, 2008.
- John Harvard Scholarship, Academic Achievement of Highest Distinction, 1990-93.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1993.
- IBM Thomas J. Watson Scholarship, 1989.
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.