AB, Economics, magna cum laude, Harvard College
MBA, Harvard Business School
AM, Sociology, Harvard University
PhD, Organizational Behavior/Sociology, Harvard University
At Haas since July 2012
2012 - present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1993 - 1997; 1999-2007, Partner, Monitor Group, a global management consultancy
Current Research and Interests
- Organizational Sociology
- Organizational Theory
- Network Analysis
- Culture and Cognition
- Economic Sociology
- Research Design and Methods
Selected Papers and Publications
- Liu, Christopher C. and Sameer B. Srivastava. Forthcoming. “Pulling Closer and Moving Apart: Interaction, Identity, and Influence in the U.S. Senate, 1973-2009.” American Sociological Review.
- Srivastava, Sameer B. and Eliot Sherman. Forthcoming. “Agents of Change or Cogs in the Machine? Re-examining the Influence of Female Managers on the Gender Wage Gap.” American Journal of Sociology.
- Srivastava, Sameer B. Forthcoming. “Network Intervention: A Field Experiment to Assess the Effects of Formal Mentoring on Workplace Networks.” Social Forces.
- Gulati, Ranjay and Sameer B. Srivastava. 2014. "Bringing Agency Back into Network Research: Constrained Agency and Network Action." Pp. 73-93 in Research in the Sociology of Organizations, vol. 40, edited by D. J. Brass, G. Labianca, A. Mehra, D. S. Halgin, and S. P. Borgatti: Emerald Group Publishing Ltd.
- Srivastava, Sameer B. and Mahzarin R. Banaji. 2011. “Culture, Cognition, and Collaborative Networks in Organizations.” American Sociological Review. 76: 207-233. –Included in syllabus of PhD-level network analysis courses at: Department of Sociology, Harvard University; Haas School of Business, University of California – Berkeley; Department of Sociology, Indiana University; Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.
- Srivastava, Sameer B. “Sidewalks and Tracks in the Grass: The Interplay of Formal, Semiformal, and Informal Networks in Organizational Restructuring.”
- Srivastava, Sameer B. “Threat, Opportunity and the Mobilization of Social Resources within Organizations.”
- Liu, Christopher C., Sameer B. Srivastava, and Toby E. Stuart. “An Intra-Organizational Ecology of Individual Attainment.”
- Mobasseri, Sanaz, Sameer B. Srivastava, and András Tilcsik. “Stigma, Sympathy, and the Double Edge of Strong Ties: Social Capital Activation in Job Searches.”
- Liu, Christopher C. and Sameer B. Srivastava. “Stamps of Power and Conflict: Imprinting and Influence in the U.S. Senate, 1973-2009.”
- Power and Politics, Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
- Women’s Executive Leadership Program, Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
- Strategy in Competitive Markets, Haas School of Business, University of California at Berkeley
Honors and Awards
- Schwabacher Fellowship (Highest honor for Assistant Professors), Haas School of Business,2014-2015
- “Club 6” (Recognition for teaching excellence), Haas School of Business, 2012-present.
- Garwood Center for Corporate Innovation Research Award, 2012
- State Farm Companies Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2011
- Selected to Academy of Management OMT/MOC Doctoral Symposium, 2011
- Best Paper Award in Organizational Behavior, Trans-Atlantic Doctoral Conference, London Business School, 2011.
- Certificate of Distinction in Teaching, Harvard’s Derek Bok Center, 1998, 2010.
- Finalist, Aage B. Sorensen Memorial Award for the Most Outstanding Research Paper, Department of Sociology, Harvard University, 2009.
- Distinction, Ph.D. Qualifying Paper, Harvard Sociology, 2008.
- John Harvard Scholarship, Academic Achievement of Highest Distinction, 1990-93.
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1993.
- IBM Thomas J. Watson Scholarship, 1989.
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.