Bachelor of Commerce (First Class Honors), University of Western Australia
MS, Business Administration (Accounting and Finance), W.E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rochester
PhD, Business Administration (Accounting and Finance), W.E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Rochester
At Haas since 2008
2009 - present, L. H. Penney Chair in Accounting, Haas School of Business
2008 - present, L. H. Penney Professor of Accounting, Haas School of Business
2006 - 2009, Managing Director, Equity Research, Barclays Global Investors
2000 - 2007, Victor L. Bernard PricewaterhouseCooper Collegiate Professor of Accounting and Finance, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
2002 - 2007, Director, John R. and Georgene M. Tozzi Electronic Finance Center, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
1999 - 2000, Professor of Accounting, University of Michigan Business School
1997 - 1999, Associate Professor of Accounting, University of Michigan Business School
1992 - 1997, Assistant Professor of Accounting, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
External Service and Assignments
- Editor, Review of Accounting Studies
- Editorial Advisory and Review Board, Accounting Review
- Editorial Board, Accounting and Finance
- Associate Editor, Journal of Accounting and Economics
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Economics
Current Research and Interests
- The relation between accounting information and stock returns
- Earnings management
- The role of analysts and auditors as information intermediaries
Selected Papers and Publications
- "The Relation Between Corporate Financing Activities, Analysts' Forecasts and Stock Returns," with Mark Bradshaw and Scott Richardson. Journal of Accounting and Economics42 (2006).
- "Accrual Reliability, Earnings Persistence and Stock Prices," with Scott Richardson, Mark Soliman, and Irem Tuna. Journal of Accounting and Economics 39 (2005).
- "Do Analysts and Auditors Use Information in Accruals?" with Mark Bradshaw and Scott Richardson. Journal of Accounting Research 39 (2001).
- "Short Interest, Fundamental Analysis and Market Efficiency," with Patricia Dechow, Amy Hutton, and Lisa Muelbroek. Journal of Financial Economics 61 (2001).
- "Do Stock Prices Reflect Information in Accruals and Cash Flows About Future Earnings?" The Accounting Review 71 (1996).
- "Detecting Earnings Management," with Patricia Dechow and Amy Sweeney. The Accounting Review 70 (1995).
- Archival Financial Accounting Reserach, PHDBA 229B-1
Honors and Awards
- American Accounting Association Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award, 2009
- Roger F. Murray Prize (first prize). The Institute for Quantitative Research in Finance, 2003
- University of Michigan Business School Victor L. Bernard Faculty Leadership in Teaching Award, 2002
- American Accounting Association Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award, 2001
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.