Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Psychology, Professional School of Psychology, San Francisco
MA, Human Relations, San Francisco State University
BA, Education and Spanish, George Washington University
At Haas since 2003
2014-present, Faculty Director, Center for Social Sector Leadership, Haas School of Business
2006 – present, Adjunct Professor, Haas School of Business
2003 – 2014, Founder and Executive Director, Center for Social Sector Leadership, Haas School of Business
2007, Visiting Professor, University of Klagenfurt, Vienna Dialogic
1990 – 2003, Founder and Director, The Volunteerism Project, San Francisco, CA
1998 – 2001, Senior Trainer, Peter F. Drucker Foundation
1985 – 1989, Founder and Director, PAVE Alameda County
1982 – 1985, Executive Director, Tri-Valley Haven for Women, Livermore, CA
1975 – 1982, Instructor, Chabot College, Hayward, CA
External Service and Assignments
- Provide strategy and organizational consulting to nonprofits, foundations, businesses, governments, and universities, including: American Red Cross, Consumers Union, Corporation for National Service (AmeriCorps), Georgetown University, Government of Singapore, National Judicial College, Office of the Governor of Hawaii, United Way of America, UPS Foundation, Walter and Elise Haas Fund, YMCA of the USA and others
- Boards and advisory boards: Greater Good Science Center, G2 Insurance, Learning by Giving Foundation
Current Research and Interests
- Multi-sector leadership
- Networks for social impact
- Cross-sector collaboration
- Next generation social sector leadership
Selected Papers and Publications
- “The Multisector Career Arc: the role of cross sector affiliations and sector hopping in career acceleration” Berkeley-Haas. Co-authored with Paul Jansen (2016).
- “Leveraging Social Sector Leadership” Special publication of GEO (Grantmakers for Effective Organizations) and Regents of the University of California. Co-authored with Laura Callanan and Paul Jansen (2015).
- “Four Network Principles to Collaboration Success” The Foundation Review. Co-authored with Jane Wei-Skillern (2013).
- “Cracking the Network Code: Four Principles for Grantmakers” Scaling What Works. Co-authored with Jane Wei-Skillern and Eric Heitz (2013).
- Telling the Whole Story: Voices of Ethnic Volunteers in America (2011).
- “Cultural Competency.” Journal of Volunteer Administration (2002).
- At the Heart: The New Volunteer Challenge to Community Agencies. The San Francisco Foundation (1989).
- Large Scale Social Change: Social Movements
- Social Sector Solutions
- Impact Investing Practicum
Honors and Awards
- Aspen Institute Faculty Pioneer Award 2016
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]