BA, Education and Spanish, George Washington University
MA, Human Relations, San Francisco State University
PhD, Psychology, Professional School of Psychology, San Francisco
At Haas since 2003
2003 - present, Director, Center for Nonprofit and Public Leadership, Haas School of Business
2003 - present, Adjunct Professor, Haas School of Business
2007, Visiting Professor, University of Klagenfurt, Vienna Dialogic
1990 - 2003, Founder and Director, The Volunteerism Project, San Francisco, CA
1998 - 2001, Senior Trainer, Peter F. Drucker Foundation
1985 - 1989, Founder and Director, PAVE Alameda County
1982 - 1985, Executive Director, Tri-Valley Haven for Women, Livermore, CA
1975 - 1982, Instructor, Chabot College, Hayward, CA
External Service and Assignments
- Provide strategy and organizational consulting to nonprofits, foundations, businesses, governments, and universities, including: American Red Cross, Consumers Union, Corporation for National Service (AmeriCorps), Georgetown University, Government of Singapore, National Judicial College, Office of the Governor of Hawaii, United Way of America, UPS Foundation, Walter and Elise Haas Fund, YMCA of the USA and others
Current Research and Interests
- Multi-sector leadership
- Networks for social impact
- Cross-sector collaboration
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Four Network Principles to Collaboration Success” The Foundation Review. Co-authored with Jane Wei-Skillern (2013).
- “Cracking the Network Code: Four Principles for Grantmakers” Scaling What Works. Co-authored with Jane Wei-Skillern and Eric Heitz (2013).
- Telling the Whole Story: Voices of Ethnic Volunteers in America (2011).
- "Cultural Competency." Journal of Volunteer Administration (2002).
- "The Promise and Pitfalls of Technology in Creating an Engaged Citizenry." The Grantmaker Forum on Community & National Service Session Highlights (2000).
- Positioning the Profession: Communicating the Power of Results for Volunteer Leadership Professionals. Association for Volunteer Administration (1999).
- At the Heart: The New Volunteer Challenge to Community Agencies. The San Francisco Foundation (1989).
- Social Sector Solutions - Nonprofit Consulting Projects, MBA 292N
- Social Sector Solutions for Social Enterprise, MBA 292N
- Strategic Management of Nonprofit Organizations, MBA 292A
- Social Impact Speaker Series, MBA 294
- Cal Strategic Philanthropy, UGBA 196
- Microfinance Decal, UGBA 98/198
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.