BBA, Business, University of Notre Dame
MPH, Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles
MBA, Business Administration, University of Chicago
PhD, Behavioral Science, University of Chicago
At Haas since 1998
1998 - present, Professor of Health Policy and Management, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
1998 - present, Professor of Organizational Behavior, Haas School of Business
1998 - present, Member, Institute for Personality and Social Research
1998 - present, Member, Industrial Relations Institute, UC Berkeley
1998 - present, Institute for Health Policy Research, UC San Francisco, affiliated
1998 - present, Department of Sociology, affiliated
2002 - 2012, Dean, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
2004 - 2005, Professor, PH 223C and BA299H: Strategic Management and the Organization of Health Services
2000 - 2002, Chair, Center for Health Research, Institute for Business and Economics Research
External Service and Assignments
- Member, Institute of Medicine Committee, "Designing the 21st Century Health System"
- Member, Board of Directors, Health Research and Educational Trust
- Member, Board of Directors, National Center for Health Care Leadership
- Dean, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
- Member, National Advisory Council, Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Investigator Fellowship Program
- Blue Cross of California Distinguished Professor of Health Policy and Management School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
- Professor of Organization Behavior, Haas School of Business
- Member, Center for Health Research, UC Berkeley
- Member, Industrial Relations Institute, UC Berkeley
- Member, Institute for Personality and Social Research, UC Berkeley
Current Research and Interests
- Organizational correlates of quality and outcomes of care
- Evaluation of total quality management and community-based health improvement initiatives
- Strategic change in the health care sector-e.g. Evolution of integrated delivery systems
- Strategic alliances between physicians and other health care entities
Selected Papers and Publications
- Health Care Management: Organization Design and Behavior, 5th ed., with A.D. Kaluzny, et al. Albany, NY: Delmar, 2005.
- "The Role of Perceived Team Effectiveness in Improving Chronic Illness Care," with J.A. Marsteller, et al. Medical Care 42, no. 11 (November 2004):1040-1048.
- "External Incentives, Information Technology, and Organized Processes to Improve Health Care Quality for Patients with Chronic Diseases," with L. Casalino, et al. Journal of the American Medical Association 289, no. 4 (22/29 January 2003): 434-441.
- "Beauty Is in the Eye of the Beholder: The Impact of Organizational Identification, Identity, and Image on the Cooperative Behaviors of Physicians," with J.M. Dukerich and B.R. Golden. Administrative Science Quarterly 47 (2002): 507-533.
- "Improving the Quality of Health Care in the United Kingdom and the United States: A Framework for Change," with E. Ferlie. The Milbank Quarterly 79, no. 2 (2001): 281-316.
- Strategic Management and the Organization of Health Services, PH 223C and BA299H
- Chair and member of doctoral dissertation committees
Honors and Awards
- American Hospital Association National Honorary Membership, 1999
- Distinguished Investigator Award, Association for Health Services Research and Health Policy, 1998
- Gold Medal Award, American College of Healthcare Executives, 1998
- Baxter Health Services Research Prize for distinguished contributions to the improved health of the public through innovative health services research, 1995
- Elected a Distinguished Fellow of the Association for Health Services Research, 1995
- Corning Award, American Society of Health Planning, 1995
- Elected to honorary fellowship in the American Academy of Medical Administrators, 1994
- Elected to Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, 1986
- Faculty Achievement Award, Northwestern University, 1988-1990; 1990-1991; 1992-1993; 1993-1994; 1994-1995; 1995-1996; 1996-1997
- George R. Terry "Book of the Year" Award, The Academy of Management, 1990
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.