Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MA, Mathematics, UC Berkeley
BS, Mathematics and Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
At Haas since 1990
2009 – present, Transamerica Chair in Business Strategy, Haas School of Business
1998 – present, Director, Institute of Business and Economics Research, Haas School of Business
1990 – present, Professor, Haas School of Business
2011 – 2012, Member of the President’s Council of Economic Advisers
2009 – 2011, Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice
2006 – 2008, Member, University of California Committee on Academic Personnel
2004 – 2007, Member, Berkeley Budget and Interdepartmental Relations Committee
1995 – 1996, Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics, Antitrust Division, US Department of Justice
Chairman, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1980 – 1990, Professor, Woodrow Wilson School and Department of Economics, Princeton University
External Service and Assignments
- Senior Consultant: Charles River Associates
- Consultant: a wide range of private clients, the US Department of Justice, and the Federal Trade Commission
- Research Associate: National Bureau of Economic Research
Current Research and Interests
- Design and use of patents
- Anti-trust economics
- Intellectual property and licensing
- Product standards and compatibility
- The economics of networks and interconnection
- Game theory
Selected Papers and Publications
- Patent Remedies, American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings, 2016.
- The Actavis Inference: Theory and Practice, with Aaron Edlin, Scott Hemphill, and Herbert Hovenkamp, Rutgers University Law Review, 2015.
- Competition and Innovation: Did Arrow Hit the Bull’s Eye?, in The Rate & Direction of Inventive Activity Revisited, Josh Lerner and Scott Stern, eds., National Bureau of Economic Research, University of Chicago Press, 2012.
- The 2010 Horizontal Merger Guidelines: From Hedgehog to Fox in Forty Years, Antitrust Law Journal, 2010.
- How Strong Are Weak Patents? with Joseph Farrell, American Economic Review, 2008.
- Patent Hold-Up and Royalty Stacking, with Mark A. Lemley, Texas Law Review, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 1991-2049, June 2007.
- Probabilistic Patents, with Mark A. Lemley, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Spring 2005.
- Economic Analysis for Business Decisions, BA 201A
Honors and Awards
- Runner-Up, Award for Excellence in Teaching, MBA Program, Haas School of Business, 1999-2000
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]