BS, Mathematics and Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MA, Mathematics, UC Berkeley
PhD, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
At Haas since 1990
2009 - present, Transamerica Chair in Business Strategy, Haas School of Business
1998 - present, Director, Institute of Business and Economics Research, Haas School of Business
1990 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
2011 - 2012, Member of the President's Council of Economic Advisers
2009 - 2011, Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics, Antitrust Division, U.S. Department of Justice
2006 - 2008, Member, University of California Committee on Academic Personnel
2004 - 2007, Member, Berkeley Budget and Interdepartmental Relations Committee
1995 - 1996, Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Economics, Antitrust Division, US Department of Justice
Chairman, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1980 - 1990, Professor, Woodrow Wilson School and Department of Economics, Princeton University
External Service and Assignments
- Senior Consultant: Charles River Associates
- Consultant: a wide range of private clients, the US Department of Justice, and the Federal Trade Commission
- Research Associate: National Bureau of Economic Research
Current Research and Interests
- Design and use of patents
- Anti-trust economics
- Intellectual property and licensing
- Product standards and compatibility
- The economics of networks and interconnection
- Game theory
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Reinvigorating Horizontal Merger Enforcement," with Jonathan Baker. Oxford University Press, 2007.
- "Patent Reform: Aligning Reward and Contribution," in Innovation Policy and the Economy,edited by Adam Jaffe, Josh Lerner, and Scott Stern. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2007.
- "Antitrust," with Louis Kaplow, in Handbook of Law and Economics, edited by A. Mitchell Polinsky and Steven Shavell. Elsevier, 2007.
- "Patent Hold-Up and Royalty Stacking," with Mark A. Lemley. Texas Law Review (2007).
- "Prior User Rights." American Economic Review Papers & Proceedings (May 2006).
- "Probabilistic Patents,” with Mark A. Lemley, Journal of Economic Perspectives (Spring 2005).
- "Antitrust Analysis of Patent Settlements Between Rivals." Antitrust Magazine (Summer 2003).
- "Critical Loss: Let’s Tell the Whole Story," with Michael L. Katz. Antitrust Magazine (Spring 2003).
- Economic Analysis for Business Decisions, BA 201A
Honors and Awards
- Runner-Up, Award for Excellence in Teaching, MBA Program, Haas School of Business, 1999-2000
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.