BA, Economics, University of Connecticut
PhD, Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
At Haas since 1979
1981 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1978 - 1981, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1975 - 1978, Assistant Professor of Economics and Public Affairs, Princeton University
1974, Assistant Professor of Economics, Boston University.
1972 - 1975, Research Associate, Joint Center for Urban Studies of MIT and Harvard University
1971, International Economic Intern, United States Treasury Department
1970 - 1971, Special Assistant to the Director of Research and Program Information, Connecticut Department of Community Affairs
1969 - 1970, Economic Analyst, Connecticut Department of Community Affairs
1968 - 1969, Research Assistant, Professor George France, University of Connecticut
External Service and Assignments
- Current affiliations within Haas or UC Berkeley: Chairman, Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics, Chair, Fisher Center for Real Estate Grants Committe
- Chair, Fisher Center for Real Estate Grants Committee
- Member: American Economics Association, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, Urban Land Institute Trustee, Urban Land Institute Research Committee Member
- Referee: American Economic Review, JMCB, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of Urban Economics, Journal of Urban and Real Estate Economics, JPE, Land Economics, and National Science Foundation
- Board Service: Avitar Holdings, Inc., Board of Trustees of the Urban Land Institute (nonprofit), Golden West Financial Corporation, National Association of Business Economics - San Francisco Chapter (nonprofit), PMI Mortgage Insurance Co., National Association of Real Estate Trusts - Investor Advisory Council (nonprofit), Bentley School (nonprofit), Chairman of UCSF Real Estate Advisory Board (nonprofit).
Current Research and Interests
- Economics of the housing market
- Construction of a detailed econometric forecasting model of the real estate sector
- New policies for the housing and mortgage markets to make housing more affordable
- California housing market and models of the office building sector
- Price adjustments and the natural vacancy rate for rental housing
- Securitization of the commercial real estate market, REITS
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Shopping the City: Real Estate Finance and Urban Retail Development," with G. Kim and A. Patel. Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy, 2003.
- MBA 280 / Evening MBA 280
Honors and Awards
- PREA’s 2003 Graaskamp Award
- Koret Foundation Fellow for Study in Israel, 1994-1995
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, MBA Program, 1984
- National Science Foundation Fellow, 1970-1973
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow in Economics, 1970
- Departmental Honors Fellow in Economics, 1968-1969
- Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Beta Phi, Lambda Alpha
- Elected Treasurer and Executive Committee Member, Board of Governors, University of Connecticut
- Elected to Archons, Society of Outstanding Student Leaders
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.