Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, History, Harvard University
MA, History, Harvard University
BA, History, Wellesley College
At Haas since 1983
1992 – present, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2010 – present, Associate Director, Berkeley Center for Green Chemistry
2006 – 2011, Director, American Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Major, L&S.
1983 – 1992, Assistant Professor, Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
1983 – Lecturer, Legal Studies Program, UC Berkeley
1982 – 1983, Lecturer, Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
1982 – Lecturer, Department of History, UC Berkeley
1979 – Lecturer, Department of City and Regional Planning, UC Berkeley
1976 – 1977, Instructor, Department of History, Princeton University
External Service and Assignments
2001 – present, Editorial Board Member, Environmental History
2002 – present, Editorial Board Member, California Management Review
Ad Hoc Reviewer (Journals): Business History Review, Enterprise and Society, Environmental History Review, Economic History Review, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Journal of Cleaner Production, California Management Review
Ad Hoc Reviewer (Books): Yale University Press, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, University of Pittsburgh Press.
Member, Business History Conference (BHC)
Member, American Society for Environmental History (ASEH)
Member, Society for the History of Technology, American Society for Legal History (SHOT)
Current Research and Interests
- History of business and the environment
- Business history
- Green chemistry and sustainable product design from an interdisciplinary perspective
- Sustainable business strategies
- Book project: Mindsets and Movements: A History of America’s Early Struggles with Industrial Pollution, 1840 – 1900 (working title)
Selected Papers and Publications
- Deep Green Roots: Leadership, Technology, and Belief in America’s Early Struggles Against Industrial Pollution, 1840-1920. (forthcoming, book mss under contract with Harvard University Press).
- “What is Business History?” Enterprise and Society: The International Journal of Business History, (September, 2013), 475-485. And please create a link to the article which I’ve also attached to this email.
- “The Role of Business Leaders in Community Sustainability Coalitions: An Historical Perspective,” in Woodrow W. Clark II (ed.), Sustainable Communities, Chapter 2, (Springer: 2010), 13-28.
- “Business Leadership in the Movement to Regulate Industrial Air Pollution in Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century America,” Jahrbuch für Wirtschaftsgeschichte / Economic History Yearbook, 2 (2009), 23-43.
- “The Role of Pollution Regulation and Litigation in the Development of the U.S. Meatpacking Industry, 1865-1880,” Enterprise and Society: The International Journal of Business History (June 2007), 297-347.
- “The Business-Environment Connection,” in “Anniversary Forum: What’s Next for Environmental History?” Environmental History (January 2005), 77- 79.
- “’Knowing’ Industrial Pollution: Nuisance Law and the Power of Tradition in a Time of Rapid Economic Change, 1840-1865,” Environmental History (October 2003), 563-595.
- “Industrial Ecology and the Transformation of Corporate Environmental Management: A Business Historian’s Perspective,” in Arthur Molella and Joyce Bedi (eds.), Inventing for the Environment, (Cambridge: MIT Press in association with the Lemuelson Center, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 2003), 318-338.
- “Product Recovery With Some Byte: An Overview of Management Challenges and Environmental Consequences in Reverse Manufacturing for the US Computer Industry,” (with Charles D. White, Eric Masanet, and Sara L. Beckman), 11 Journal of Cleaner Production, 4 (June 2003), 445 – 458.
- The Role of Voluntary Industry Standards in Environmental Supply Chain Management: An Institutional Economics Perspective,” (with Sara Beckman and Janet Bercovitz), 6 Journal of Industrial Ecology (Summer-Fall 2002), 103-124.
- History of American Business (cross-listed as American Studies 172), BA 172
- Corporate Environmental Management, BA 278
Honors and Awards
- Visiting Scholar, Institute of Urban and Regional Development, UC Berkeley
- Able Wolman Award of the American Public Works Association, for The Limits of Power: Great Fires and the Process of City Growth in America, 1987
- Honorable mention, John Hope Franklin Award of the American Studies Association, for The Limits of Power: Great Fires and the Process of City Growth in America, 1987
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]