B Sc, Chemical Engineering Degree with Honors, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Executive Leadership Program, Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley
Diploma on Policy Economics and Government, Instituto Nacional de Administración Pública. México
Ph.D. Process Economics and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College. London, UK
At Haas since 2009
2009 - present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
Current Research and Interests
- Towards a Green Supply Chain. Life Cycle Implications of value chains. Includes a framework and methodology to help firms in reducing costs and adopt sustainable practices.
- Economic, Environmental and Social Implications of Biofuels. Analysis of bioenergy value chains, environmental impacts and policy implications.
- Business Intelligence and Technology Roadmaps in the Energy Sector This project dealt with the development of a technology maps based on market, patent and journal inputs along with expert group interviews. Enhanced Oil Recovery and Conversion Energy Technologies lie within current scope of the project.
Selected Papers and Publications
- “A Multi-objective Mathematical Programming Framework for a Sustainability Analysis of Wastewater Treatment Processes,” (with A. Ponsich, S. Romero-Hernández, M. De Lascurain, and J. Aquino), International Journal of Environmental Policy and Decision Making, 2010, 1(1): 17-39.
- “Environmental Implications and Market Analysis of Soft Drink Packaging Systems in Mexico: A Waste Management Approach,” (with Sergio Romero, David Muñoz, Emiliano Detta, Arturo Palacios, and Adriana Laguna), International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 2009, 14(2):107-113.
- “Bioenergy, Sustainability and Tradeoffs: Analysis of the Legal and Institutional Frameworks at National and Subnational Levels in Mexico,” (with Omar Masera, Sergio Romero, and Miriam Grunstein), working paper, 2010.
- “Environmental Cooperation System for the Steel Industry in Mexico – A Case Study” (with Tony Kingsbury, Sergio Romero, Mariana Icaza, and Emiliano Diaz), working paper, 2010.
- Book: “Renewable Energy in Mexico” (with Wood, D. and Romero, S.), USA Aid Research, 2011.
- Project Management (School of Business)
- Business and the Environment: Strategies and Tools (School of Business)
- Lean Operations (School of Engineering)
Honors and Awards
- Franz Edelman Award 2010. First place Laureate in the World’s most prestigious award on Operations Research and Management Science applications. Project : INDEVAL.
- Fulbright Visiting Professor. US Department of State. 2009.
- Mexico Business Summit. Task Force National Leader: Economic Growth and Low Carbon Emissions. Appointed by former Mexico’s President, 2009.
- National Researcher. National Research Council, CONACyT, 2007.
- Royal Society (United Kingdom). Distinguished Visiting Professor, England, 2004.
- First Place - research award (supervisor): Institute of Industrial Engineers México (Merida, 2008) - Technical essay. Project: Corn Ethanol in Mexico
- Second International Research Prize: LCA International Conference, Costa Rica (Research project on Green Supply Management)
- Second International Research Prize: International Engineering Conference in Panama, CLEIN 2004.
- Teaching Award. Business Master Program – Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico (ITAM)
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.