- Ph.D., Accounting and Finance, Yale University, December 2010.
- Dissertation Title: Essays on Corporate Financial Reporting and Financial Statement Analysis.
- Dissertation Committee: Jake Thomas (Director), Shyam Sunder, Brian Mittendorf, Frank Zhang.
- M.Phil., Management, Yale University, 2008.
- M.A., Management, Yale University, 2007.
- M.Sc., Accounting and Finance, London School of Economics & Political Science, 2004.
- Highest Distinction.
- European Union Erasmus Fellow, Lancaster University Management School, 2003.
- B.A., Accounting and Finance, Athens University of Economics & Business, 2003.
At Haas since 2010
2010 - present, University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor (Step IV).
External Service and Assignments
- Ad hoc Journal Referee: Accounting Review, Accounting Horizons, California Management Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, European Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Journal of Finance, Management Science, Production and Operations Management Journal, Review of Accounting Studies, Review of Financial Studies.
- Affiliations: American Accounting Association, European Accounting Association, Hellenic Chamber of Commerce, Hellenic Finance and Accounting Association, Onassis Foundation Scholars’ Association.
- American Accounting Association:
- Western Region Meeting, Doctoral Consortium Faculty Delegate: 2014, 2015.
- Annual Meeting, Financial Accounting and Reporting—Valuation and Fundamental Analysis Section Liaison: 2014.
Current Research and Interests
- Measuring and forecasting economic activity using financial statement analysis at the firm level and the macro level.
- Financial statement analysis and valuation at the firm level and the aggregate level.
- Cross-industry economic links and supply-chain management.
- Properties of financial accounting data and financial reporting conservatism.
Selected Papers and Publications
- On the Pricing of Mandatory DCF Disclosures: Evidence from Oil and Gas Royalty Trusts, with Richard Sloan and doctoral student Jenny Zha. Forthcoming in The Accounting Review.
- Taking the Pulse of the Real Economy Using Financial Statement Analysis: Implications for Macro Forecasting and Stock Valuation, with Yaniv Konchitchki. Published in The Accounting Review 89 (2): 2014.
- Detecting News in Aggregate Accounting Earnings: Implications for Stock Market Valuation. Published in the Review of Accounting Studies 19 (1): 2014.
- Accounting Earnings and Gross Domestic Product, with Yaniv Konchitchki. Published in the Journal of Accounting and Economics 57 (1): 2014. Ranked among the Top-3 Most Downloaded Articles in the Journal of Accounting and Economics.
- Customer-Base Concentration: Implications for Firm Performance and Capital Markets. Lead Article Published in The Accounting Review 87 (2): 2012. Competitive Manuscript Award, American Accounting Association. Best Paper Award, American Accounting Association, Northeast Region.
- More Evidence of Bias in Differential Timeliness Estimates of Conditional Conservatism, with Jake Thomas. Published in The Accounting Review 86 (5): 2011.
- Placebo Effects in Asymmetric Timeliness Estimates of Conditional Conservatism, with Jake Thomas. Third round in The Accounting Review.
- Major Customer Dependency: Implications for Audit Pricing and Quality, with Gopal Krishnan, Grace Lee, and doctoral student Annika Wang. Second round in the Review of Accounting Studies.
- Customer-Base Concentration and Inventory Efficiencies: Evidence from the Manufacturing Sector, with doctoral student Korcan Ak. Second round in the Production and Operations Management Journal.
- On the Association between Stock Returns and GDP Growth Forecast Errors: A Bond Market Perspective. Second round in the Journal of Banking and Finance.
- On the “Great Disconnect” between Stock Returns and GDP Growth Forecast Errors: Implications for Interdisciplinary Capital Markets Research in Accounting. Second round in the Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Asymmetric Timeliness Estimates of Conditional Conservatism: Separating Accounting from Economics, with Sunil Dutta. Under review.
- Revisions to Official Macroeconomic Announcements and Firm-Level Financial Information, with Yaniv Konchitchki. Under review.
- Accounting Earnings Quality at the Macro Level, with Yaniv Konchitchki. Under review.
- Financial Information Analysis and Valuation, Evening & Weekend M.B.A. Program, Haas School of Business (sites.google.com/site/panosequityvaluation/).
- Highest rated course in Evening & Weekend M.B.A. program: Mean (median) rating of 6.98/7.00 (7.00/7.00), Fall 2014.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Fall 2014.
- Winner of the Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012.
- Earned “double membership” in Dean’s List for teaching excellence, Fall 2012.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Fall 2011.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Fall 2010.
- Interdisciplinary Capital Markets Research, Ph.D. Program, Haas School of Business.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Spring 2014.
- Empirical Capital Markets Research, Ph.D. Program, Haas School of Business.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Fall 2013.
- Earned membership in “Club 6” for teaching excellence, Spring 2012.
- Volunteer Instructor, Business Academy for Youth, Center for Young Entrepreneurs, Haas School of Business.
- Understanding Stock Market Prices: A Primer, Summer 2014.
- Introduction to the Stock Market Mechanism, Summer 2013.
- Public Speaking/Entrepreneurship, Undergraduate Program, Haas School of Business.
Honors and Awards
- Top-10 Business School Professor Under 40, April 2015.
- Fortune article: http://fortune.com/2015/04/20/top-business-professors-under-40/.
- Poets & Quants article: http://poetsandquants.com/2015/04/16/2015-best-40-under-40-professors-panos-patatoukas-haas-school/.
- U.S. Department of Transportation Research Grant, March 2015.
- Caltrans Division of Research, Innovation and System Information (Agreement 65A0528: Annual Grant of $159,948).
- Barbara and Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow.
- Dean’s Award for a record of accomplishment at the Haas School of Business.
- Hellman Fellows Fund Award for Distinction in Research, May 2013.
- Award for distinction in research bestowed upon Assistant Professors by the Chancellor of U.C. Berkeley.
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Outstanding Teaching, May 2012.
- Highest teaching award bestowed upon instructors by the M.B.A. students at the Haas School of Business.
- Schwabacher Award for Distinction in Research and Teaching, February 2012.
- Highest honor for distinction in research and teaching bestowed upon Assistant Professors at the Haas School of Business.
- Competitive Manuscript Award, American Accounting Association, 2011.
- The Competitive Manuscript Award encourages research among members of the American Accounting Association and associate members who have earned their Ph.D. within the past five years. The winner is chosen in a blind review.
- Best Paper Award, American Accounting Association Northeast Region, 2009.
- Yale School of Management, Harry and Heesun You Fellowship, 2009.
- American Accounting Association, Deloitte and J .Michael Cook Doctoral Fellow, 2008.
- Whitebox Advisors and Yale International Center for Finance, Doctoral Grant 2007.
- A. S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, Scholarship, 2005-2010.
- European Union Erasmus Fellow, Lancaster University Management School, 2002-2003.
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.