Diploma, Business Economics, University of Mannheim
MBA, University of Chicago
PhD, Finance, University of Chicago
At Haas since 2008
2008 - present, Assistant Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
Current Research and Interests
- Corporate finance (especially financial intermediation and financial regulation)
- Contract theory: dynamic contracting, static contracting, applied game theory
- International/ macro: DSGE models, trade theory
Selected Papers and Publications
- ''Rating agencies in the face of regulation,'' 2013, joint with Christian C. Opp & Milton Harris, Journal of Financial Economics, 108, 46-61.
- "Expropriation risk and technology,'' 2012, Journal of Financial Economics, 103, 113-129.
- "Tariff wars in a Ricardian model with a continuum of goods," 2010, Journal of International Economics, 80 (2), 212-225.
- "Rybczynski's theorem in the Heckscher-Ohlin world - anything goes," 2009, joint with Hugo Sonnenschein and Christis Tombazos, Journal of International Economics, 79 (1), 137-142.
- “Impatience vs. Incentives,” March 2013, joint with John Zhu.
- “A Theory of Dynamic Resource Misallocation and Amplification," January 2013, joint with Christine Parlour and Johan Walden.
- “Cash is King - Revaluation of Targets after Merger Bids," December 2012, joint with Ulrike Malmendier and Farzad Saidi.
- “On Mandating Deferred Incentive Pay,” March 2013, joint with Florian Hoffmann and Roman Inderst.
- “Bank regulation with private-party risk assessments,” (previously titled “Regulating Banks' Risk Taking with External Risk Assessments”), November 2012, joint with Milton Harris and Christian Opp.
- “Replacing ratings”, March 2013, joint with Bo Becker.
Honors and Awards
- Junior Faculty Research COR Grant, UC Berkeley, 2008 – 2009 and (2012 – 2013)
- John Leusner Fellowship, University of Chicago, 2007-2008
- German National Academic Foundation ERP Fellowship, 2006-2008
- Katherine Dusak Miller Ph.D. Fellowship in Finance, 2007-2008
- AFA Travel Award, 2005
- CRSP Summer Paper Award, University of Chicago, 2004
- German Academic Exchange Fellowship (DAAD), 2003-2006
- Valedictorian Graduate University of Mannheim, 2003
- Friedrich-Naumann Scholar, 2000-2003
- Julius-Paul-Stiegler Foundation Scholar, 2001-2002
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.