BA, Statistics, UC Berkeley
MS, Finance, UC Berkeley
PhD, Finance, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 2001
2008 - present, The Rudd Family Foundation Chair
2006 - 2008, Willis H. Booth Chair in Banking and Finance I
2005 - 2006, Professor, Haas School of Business
2003 - 2005, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2001 - 2003, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1997 - 2001, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Management, UC Davis
External Service and Assignments
- Executive Director, Experimental Social Science Laboratory, UC Berkeley
- Editor, Review of Financial Studies
- Ad Hoc Referee for: The American Economic Review, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, The Journal of Finance, The Review of Financial Studies, The Journal of Financial Economics, The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Financial Markets, The Financial Analyst's Journal, The Journal of Business, The Accounting Review, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, The Journal of Psychology and Financial Markets, Journal of Economics and Business, Financial Services Review, Economic Letters, Naitonal Science Review, European Finance Review, Economica, North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance
Current Research and Interests
- Behavioral finance
- Investor behavior
- Investor welfare
- Influence of individual investors on asset prices.
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Out of Sight, Out of Mind: The Effects of Expenses on Mutual Fund Flows," with Brad Barber and Lu Zheng. Journal of Business.
- "Good Rationales Sell: Reason-Based Choice Among Group and Individual Investors in the Stock Market," with Brad Barber and Chip Heath. Management Science 49, no. 12 (2003): 1636-1652.
- "Are Individual Investors Tax Savvy? Evidence from Retail and Discount Brokerage Accounts," with Brad Barber. Journal of Public Economics 88 (2003): 419-442.
- "Online Investors: Do the Slow Die First?" with Brad Barber. Review of Financial Studies 15, no. 2 (March 2002): 455-487.
- "The Internet and the Investor," with Brad Barber. The Journal of Economic Perspectives 15, no. 1 (Winter 2001): 41-54.
- "Learning to be Overconfident," with Simon Gervais. Review of Financial Studies 14, no. 1 (Spring 2001): 1-27.
- "Boys Will Be Boys: Gender, Overconfidence, and Common Stock Investment," with Brad Barber. Quarterly Journal of Ecomomics 116, no. 1 (February 2001): 261-292.
- "Trading is Hazardous to Your Wealth: The Common Stock Investment Performance of Individual Investors," with Brad Barber. Journal of Finance 55, no. 2 (April 2000): 773-806.
- "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Profits: The Performance of Investment Clubs," with Brad Barber. Financial Analyst Journal (January/February 2000): 17-25.
Honors and Awards
- Barclays Global Investment/Michael Brennan Prize for the Best Paper of the Year in theReview of Financial Studies, 2001
- Roger F. Murray Prize (from the Institute for Quantitative Research in Finance
- Graham and Dodd Award of Excellence, 2000
- American Association of Individual Investors Completed Dissertation Award, 1997
- Nasdaq Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
- National Science Foundation Career Grant
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.