BA, Psychology, Stanford University
MA, Psychology, Princeton University
PhD, Psychology, Princeton University
At Haas since 2009
2010 - present: Associate Professor of Marketing, University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2010: Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business
2007 - 2009: Assistant Professor, University of California, San Diego, Rady School of Management
2003 - 2007: Assistant Professor of Marketing, New York University, Stern School of Business
Current Research and Interests
- Human judgment and decision making
- Consumer preferences and choices
- Consumption experience and consumer well being
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Commitment and behavior change: Evidence from the field" with Baca-Motes, K., Brown, A., Gneezy, A., Keenan, E.A. Journal of Consumer Research, 39, 1070-1084. (2013)
- "Correcting the past: Failures to replicate psi" with Galak, J., Leboeuf, R.A., Simmons, J.P. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 103, 933-948. (2012)
- "Pay-what-you-want, identity and self-signaling in markets" with Gneezy, A., Gneezy U., Riener, G. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 109, 7236-7240. (2012)
- "Paying to be nice: Costly prosocial behavior and consistency." With Gneezy, A., Imas, A., Brown, A., Norton, M.I. Management Science, 58, 179-187. (2012)
- "False-positive psychology: Undisclosed flexibility in data collection and analysis allow presenting anything as significant." with J.P. Simmons, U. Simonsohn. Psychological Science, 22, 1359-1366 (2011)
- "Intuitive biases in choice vs. estimation: Implications for the wisdom of crowds," with J. P. Simmons, J. Galak, and S. Frederick. Journal of Consumer Research, 38, 1-15 (2011)
- "The virtues of opaque prose: How lay beliefs about fluency influence perceptions of quality," with J. Galak. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 250-253 (2011)
- "The effect of accuracy motivation on anchoring and adjustment: Do people adjust from provided anchors?", with J. P. Simmons and R. A. LeBoeuf, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 917-932 (2010)
- "Shared social responsibility: A field experiment in pay-what-you-want pricing and charitable giving," with A. Gneezy, U. Gneezy, and A. Brown. Science, 329:325-327 (2010).
- "You're having fun when time flies: The hedonic consequences of subjective time progression," with A. M. Sackett, T. Meyvis, B. A. Converse, and A. L. Sackett. Psychological Science, 21:111-117 (2010).
- Marketing Research
Honors and Awards
- Winner: Garwood Center Grant for Corporate Innovation (2013)
- Runner Up: Journal of Consumer Research Best Paper Award (2012)
- Winner: Cialdini Award for the best paper with field experimentation in social psychology (2011)
- MSI Young Scholars
- Scholar at Center for Advanced Study in Behavorial Science, Summer Institute
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.