BSF, Forestry and Commerce, University of British Columbia
MBA, Business Administration, University of Western Ontario
MA, Sociology, Northwestern University
PhD, Business Administration and Marketing, Northwestern University
At Haas since 1964
1973 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1987 - 1990, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, Haas School of Business
1985 - 1987, Associate Dean of Curriculum, Haas School of Business
1983 - 1985, Associate Dean of the Graduate School
1982 - 1985, Director of PhD Program, Haas School of Business
1974 - 1977, Chairman, Marketing and International Business Group, Haas School of Business
1961 - 1964, Instructor, Northwestern University
1958 - 1960, Instructor and Lecturer, University of Western Ontario
1954 - 1956, Management Trainee, Macmillan & Bloedel, Canada and Kornas, Sweden
External Service and Assignments
- Nonprofit Consultant: Alliance for Technology Access, National Junior Tennis League, Internal Revenue Service, The California Prune Board, The California Integrated Waste Management Board, AACSB, Stanford Research Institute (SRI), California Department of Motor Vehicles, Federal Trade Commission, Ford Foundation
- Consultant: Wells Fargo Bank Corporate Marketing, State Farm Insurance, Goodby Silverstein Advertising, Elrick and Lavidge, Quantum Consulting, Fireman's Fund, Chevron, Bank of America, Levi Strauss, Pacific Gas & Electric, Pacific Telephone
- Expert Witness: RAM Consulting, The Family Company, Melitta USA, Novadigm Computer Systems, Gerber Foods, Clorox, Rand McNally, Central Point Software, Ford Motor, State Farm, Lucky Stores, Nordic Trak, Hunting World, Pillsbury, Atari Games, Century 21, Acuson, U-Haul, Union Oil, United Vintners
- Board of Directors: National Junior Tennis League
- Former Board of Directors: Washington Campus
- Member: American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Marketing Association, Institute of Management Sciences, Advertising Research Foundation, the American Psychological Association, and the Association for Consumer Research
Current Research and Interests
- Promotional incentives and disadoption behavior
- Fence-sitting, frustration in durables purchases
- E-commerce and internet consumer behavior
- Similarity effects in judgment and decision making
- Marketing in Russia and China
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Managing and Promoting Brands and Trademarks in the United States and Russia," with Sergey Starov. March 1999, working paper.
- "Consumer Frustration and the Purchase Process for High Tech Durable Goods," with Judi Strebel, presented at the Society for Consumer Psychology Conference, St. Petersburg Beach, Florida, February 1999.
- "Darling Chocolate," a case and teaching note concerning entry into the Russian market, with Segey Starov and Igor Gladkik. ECCH Case Clearing House, 1998.
- "Similarity Effects in Consumer Judgment and Choice," with Judi Strebel, presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, August 1998.
- "Donations to Charity as Purchase Incentives: How Well They Work May Depend on What You are Trying to Sell," with Michal Strahilevitz. Journal of Consumer Research 24, no. 4 (March 1998): 434-446. Abstract
- Advertising Management, with Rajeev Batra and David A. Aaker, 5th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1996.
- "Consumer Information Processing," ACR European Conference, Copenhagen, June 14-17, 1995.
- "On-Line Experimentation in Behavioral Decision Theory Research," presented at the Behavioral Decision Research in Management Conference, Sloan School of Management, MIT, May 1994.
- "Attribute Share: Muddling Along with a Fuzzy Concept," presented at ORSA/TIMS Annual Conference, San Francisco, November 1992.
- Seminar in Consumer Behavior, BA 24
- Advertising Management, School of Management, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Marketing Management, IAE, Nice, France
Honors and Awards
- Columbia University Doctoral Dissertation Award
- Research grants from Ford Foundation and American Association of Advertising Agencies Educational Foundation
- National Science Foundation Research Grants, 1973-75, 1974-76, 1982-84
- Other research awards from Institute of Business and Economic Research, Center for Research in Management, and Research Program in Marketing at Berkeley
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.