BA, Colgate University
MS, Statistics, Purdue University
MS, Agricultural Economics, Purdue University
PhD, Finance, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
At Haas since 2012
2013 - present, Assistant Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
2012 - 2013, Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
2012 - 2013, Associate Professor of Finance, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
2007- 2012, Assistant Professor of Finance, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
External Service and Assignments
2012 – present, Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic
2012 – present, Small and Medium Enterprise Affiliate, Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
2012 – present, Member of Working Group on Behavioral Economics and Consumer Finance, Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation and the Russell Sage Foundation
Current Research and Interests
Household Finance, Entrepreneurship, Corruption & Governance, Asset Management, Development
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Information Disclosure, Cognitive Biases and Payday Borrowers” (with Marianne Bertrand), Journal of Finance, 2011, Vol. 66 (6), p. 1865-1893. Lead Article.
- “Payday Lenders: Heroes or Villains?”, Journal of Financial Economics, 2011, Vol 102 (1), p.28-44.
- “Are Incentive Contracts Rigged by Powerful CEOs?” (with Vikram Nanda and Amit Seru), Journal of Finance, 2011, Vol. 66 (5), p. 1779–1821.
- “Who Blows the Whistle on Corporate Fraud?” (with Alexander Dyck and Luigi Zingales), Journal of Finance, 2010, Vol. 65(6), p. 2213-2253. Main result on bounty payments for whistleblowing implemented in Dodd-Frank financial reform law.
- “Are Elite Universities Losing Their Competitive Edge?” (with E. Han Kim and Luigi Zingales). Journal of Financial Economics, 2009, Vol. 93(3), p. 353-381. Lead Article. Winner of 2nd Prize, 2009 Journal of Financial Economics Jensen Prize for Corporate Finance and Organizations
- “Indebted Households and Tax Rebates” (with Marianne Bertrand), American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, May 2009, Vol. 99(2), p. 418-423
- Global Entrepreneurial Finance
- Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
Honors and Awards
- Winner, 2012 European Finance Association Prize: CommonFund Best Paper relevant to Endowment and Foundation Asset Management
- Winner of 2nd Prize, 2009 Journal of Financial Economics Jensen Prize for Corporate Finance and Organizations
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.