AB, Journalism, University of North Texas
MBA, Industrial Relations, University of North Texas
PhD, Organizational Behavior and Industrial Relations, Stanford University
At Haas since 1963
1992 - present, Professor Emeritus
1971 - 1992, Professor, Haas School of Business
1983 - 1991, Dean, Haas School of Business
1982 - 1983, Director, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley
1980 - 1981, Associate Dean, Haas School of Business
1968 - 1971, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1963 - 1968, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1958 - 1960, Lecturer, University of North Texas
1955 - 1958, 1st Lt. Pilot, US Air Force
Dartmouth's Tuck School of Business Administration
University of Texas, Austin
Tavistock Institute of Human Relations, London
External Service and Assignments
- Consultant: Purdue University (on curriculum restructure); Western Region Housing and Urban Development (HUD); Civilian Manpower Regional Office--US Navy; Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan; Hunter's Point--Bayview Community Health Project; American Public Health Association (Continuing Education Program);
- Member, board of directors: Union Bank of California, Granite Construction Company
- Former member, board of directors: INROADS, Bank of California, NETMAP, American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business
- Former member: Western Academy of Management, Industrial Relations Research Association,
- Former editor: Industrial Relations
- Former member, editorial board: California Management Review
Current Research and Interests
- New forms of global organizational strategy and structures, including dynamic network organizations in manufacturing and service industries and cellular firms in knowledge industries
- Impact of managerial philosophies on strategy and structure design
Selected Papers and Publications
- Collaborative Entrepreneurship, Stanford University Press, 2005. With Grant Miles and Charles C. Snow.
- Fit, Failure, and the Hall of Fame: How Companies Succeed or Fail, with Charles Snow. New York: The Free Press, 1994.
- "Network Organizations: New Concepts for New Forms." California Management Review(Spring 1986).
- Organization by Design: Theory and Practice, editor and contributor, with J. Jelinek and J. Litterer. Plano, Texas: Business Publications, Inc., 1986.
- Organizational Strategy, Structure, and Process, with Charles C. Snow. McGraw-Hill, 1978. (Japanese, German and Chinese language editions). Reissued, with commentary, in the Stanford Business Classics series, 2003.
- Theories of Management: Implications for Organizational Behavior and Development. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- Organizational Behavior: Research and Issues, editor and contributor, with George Strauss, et al. Wadsworth, 1976; IRRA, 1974.
- "Human Relations or Human Resources." Harvard Business Review (July-August 1965).
- Author of over 60 articles and book chapters.
Honors and Awards
- Elected fellow, Academy of Management, 1991-present
- Exxon Award of the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, 1980
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.