Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
- 2016: Board Director Training Institute boot camp
- 2001: MBA/MA-Asian Studies, Haas School of Business, UC-Berkeley. Master’s thesis comparing startup entrepreneurship in Silicon Valley and Japan; managing editor, HaasWeek
- 1995: Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies (Stanford Yokohama Center)
- 1994: B.A, University of Michigan, Japanese and Asian Studies. Junior year study abroad at Japan Center for Michigan Universities, Hikone, Shiga, Japan.
- At Haas School of Business since fall 2014
- 2008-present, Founder and President, Blue Field Strategies
- 2002-2010, Business Development and Government Affairs Director, Rosum Corporation (now TruePosition)
- Analyst, Tokyo Broadcasting System
- Editor, Asahi Shimbun Publications
External Service and Assignments
- Member of board of directors, Japan Society of Northern California, 2015-present; chairman of the board, 2017-present.
- Research fellow, KDDI Research Institute, 2008-2017.
- Member, Telecom Council of Silicon Valley, 2014-2016.
- Contributor, Advanced Television Systems Committee (US DTV standards body), 2007-2010
- Contributor, National Emergency Number Association (US public safety advocacy body), 2005-2010.
- Member of board of directors, Stern Grove Festival Association, 2008-2015.
Current Research and Interests
“Stimulating Economic Growth in Japan through On-Demand Service Models”. Research funded by UC-Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies.
Inbound tourism in Japan. Research funded by UC-Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies.
5G Wireless Networks and Security Risks. Research funded by UC-Berkeley Center for Long-term Cybersecurity.
Selected Papers and Publications
- Panel moderation / public speaking:
- 2009-2017: Telecom Council of Silicon Valley. Industry panels on IoT, SD-WAN, connected car, AI, unlicensed spectrum, national broadband plan, entertainment, wireless and government policy, and more.
- 2014-2017: Japan Society of Northern California. Opportunities in the On-Demand Economy; Sharing Economy in Japan; global venture capital; Silicon Valley’s return to Japan.
- September 2014: CTIA – The Wireless Association, SuperMobility Conference.
- “Girls Who Code Plans to Nurture 70,000 Women Programmers” (Japanese), Nikkei Information Strategy, December 2013.
- “What is the Value of a ‘Like’?” (Japanese), Nikkei Information Strategy, October 2013.
- “Six Years After the iPhone Launched, Just Four Big Carriers Are Left Standing”, VentureBeat, July 8, 2013.
- “This is Not a Test: The Future of the Emergency Alert System”, Inside GNSS, October 2006.
- “VoIP E9-1-1: Potential Solutions and Some Lessons from the Wireless E9-1-1 Experience”, 9-1-1 Magazine, July 2005.
- Reports (public)
- As research fellow for KDDI Research:
- 2017: Netflix;
- 2016: On-Demand Economy;
- 2015: Does Software Eat Hardware?; Connected Car Security Risks and Opportunities;
- 2014: Carrier and Enterprise APIs; The Fourth Screen;
- 2013: Connected Car and Usage Based Insurance
- 2012: BYOD
- 2011: Smartphones and dedicated devices
- 2010: The state of television in North America (parts 1 and 2)
- 2009: Mobile net neutrality; DTV migration; white space communications
- “Compressed Evolution: High Tech Entrepreneurship in Japan – A Comparative Study with Silicon Valley.” MBA/MA-Asian Studies Master’s thesis. 2001.
- Fall 2014: Corporate Strategy in Telecom and Media. Haas EWMBA program
- Summer 2015: Seminar in International Business: Japan. Haas EWMBA program
- Fall 2015: MBA independent study on e-commerce (MBA 293)
- Spring 2016: Corporate Strategy in Telecom and Media (EWMBA 290T.3)
- Summer 2016: Seminar in International Business: Japan (EWMBA 298S.1)
- Fall 2016: Strategy and Change in the IT Sector (UGBA 190T)
- Spring 2017: Strategy for the Information Technology Firm (EWMBA 298S)
- Spring 2017: Business Abroad – Japan (UGBA 193i)
- Fall 2017: Strategy for the Information Technology Firm (UGBA 190T.3)
- Spring 2018: Strategy for the Information Technology Firm (EWMBA/MBA 290T.5)
- Fall 2018: Strategy for the Information Technology Firm (UGBA 190T.3)
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]