Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
BA, Political Science, English, University of North Carolina
MA, Organizational Behavior/Management, Ohio University
PhD, Higher Education (Business Cognate), University of Michigan
At Haas since 2002
2002 – present, Adjunct Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2008 – present, Faculty Director, Institue for Business and Social Impact, Haas School of Business
2002 – 2008, John C. Whitehead Faculty Fellow in Corporate Responsibility, Haas School of Business
2008 – 2012, Margo N. Alexander Faculty Fellow in Corporate Responsibility, Haas School of Business
2002 – 2009, Executive Director & Founder, Center for Responsible Business, Haas School of Business
1994 – 2002, Managing Director, Corporate Environmental Management Program, University of Michigan Business School
1993 – 2002, Adjunct Professor, University of Michigan Business School
1992 – 1993, Visiting Professor, Sichuan International Studies University
1991 – 1992, Adjunct Instructor, University of Cincinnati
1989 – 1992, Fifth Third Bancorp
2014 – present, Outotec, Finland
2014 – present, Sedgwick Women’s Forum
2014 – present, Pacific Community Ventures
2013 – present, Sierra Global Management
2013 – 2014, Management Institute of Finland
2010 – 2014, Visiting Professor, EADA, Barcelona, Spain
2006 – 2014, Visiting Professor, Kenan-Flagler School of Business, UNC Chapel Hill
2007, Visiting Professor, Institut d’Administration des Enterprises, University of Poitiers, Poitiers, France
1992 – 1993, Visiting Professor, Sichuan International Studies University, Sichuan, China
External Service and Assignments
- TEDx Talk
- Advisory Board, Haas Socially Responsible Investment Fund, Atalanta Capital, SustainAbility
- Faculty Advisor, Women in Leadership
- Sustainability Advisory Council, The Dow Chemical Company
- Consultant, Walmart e-Commerce
- Board Member, Equita.com
Current Research and Interests
- The value of investing in women in the global economy, in business, and in leadership
- Women as corporate leaders and the firms improved financial, environmental, and social performance
- Analyzing and developing company’s CSR strategy and alignment with corporate strategy, business objectives, core competencies, and value creation
- Exploring the linkage between women, business leadership, and corporate sustainability
- The business value and opportunities in branding, communication, and CSR
Selected Papers and Publications
- “The Roadmap Toward Effective Strategic Social Partnerships”, 2013
- “Wal-mart’s Women’s Economic Initiative”, 2013
- “Women Create a Sustainable Future,” with S. Mobasseri, 2013
- “Sustainable Apparel Coalition”, with C. Kester & D. Ledyard, 2012
- Just Good Business, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2010
- “Designing sustainability at BMW Group: The Designworks/USA experience,” with Natalie Hill & Michael Toffel, in The Global Compact Learning Forum: From Principles to Practice. New York: United Nations, 2004.
- Designing Sustainability at BMW Group: The Designworks/ USA Experience. Strategic Sustainability: The State-of-the-Art in Corporate Environmental Management Systems, with Toffel, Michael W., and Hill, Natalie. Greener Management International, 2005.
- “Human Right in Business: The Case of Hewlett-Packard United Nation Global Compact,” with Natalie Hill, in UN Global Compact case book. 2004.
- “Ways in Which Academia Can Assist Business in CSR Programmes,” in The International Chamber of Commerce Guide to Corporate Social Responsibility 2003. London: PPf Publishing, 2003.
- “Strategic Partnerships in Corporate Social Responsibility.” Welcoming Brief for G8 Summit in London and Dubai (November 2003).
- “Developing a Management Systems Approach to Sustainability at BMW Group,” with Natalie Hill and Michael W. Toffel. Corporate Environmental Strategy: International Journal of Corporate Sustainability 10, no. (2003): 29-39.
- “BMW Group’s Sustainability Management System: Preliminary Results, Ongoing Challenges, the UN Global Compact,” with Michael W. Toffel and Natalie Hill. Corporate Environmental Strategy: International Journal of Corporate Sustainability 10, no. 3 (2003): 51-61.
- Business Solutions for Global Mega Trends
- The Business Case for Investing in Women
- Women in Business
Honors and Awards
- Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, 2012-2013
- Founder & Visionary Award, Center for Responsible Business, 2013
- Aspen Institute and the World Resources Institute’s Faculty Pioneer Award, 2005 (Video tribute, RealPlayer required.)
- “40 Under 40” leaders racing ahead of their time by the East Bay Business Times, 2004
- Finalist in Fast Company‘s Fast 50 list, 2004
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award, UMBS, nominated, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Outstanding GSI Teaching Award, 1997, The University of Michigan
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]