PhB, University of Chicago
Graduate Study, University of Chicago
AM, Economics, Stanford University
PhD, Economics, Stanford University
At Haas since 1960 1967 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business 1968 - 1970, Chairman, Center for Research in Management Science, Haas School of Business 1962 - 1967, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business 1960 - 1962, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business 1954 - 1959, Economist, RAND Corporation
External Service and Assignments
- Associate Editor: Review of Economic Design
Current Research and Interests
- Informational and incentive aspects of the design of efficient organizations
- The effect of information technology on the organization of firms
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Are Information-gathering and Producing Complements or Substitutes?” (with J.G. Shanthikumar and Junjie Zhou), Working Paper, September, 2012.
- A Newsvendor Who Chooses Informational Effort” (with J.G. Shanthikumar and Junjie Zhou), Working Paper, May 2012.
- "When does more information-gathering lead to more production? The case of the newsvendor" (with J. George Shanthikumar and J. Zhou), Working Paper, November 2010.
- "Information Technology and the Organization of Firms." Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 13 (2004): 473-515.
- "Shirking and Squandering in Sharing Games," with D. Courtney. Topics in Theoretical Economics (Berkeley Electronic Press) 6, no. 1 (2006).
- "Complementarity and Inefficiency in Sharing Games," with D. Courtney. Review of Economic Design 13, no. 7 (2009): 7-43.
- "Organization Structure," in Handbook of Economics and Information Systems, edited by T. Hendershott, 205-290. Elsevier, 2006.
- "Comparing Finite Mechanisms," with Leonid Hurwicz. Economic Theory 21, 783-841 (2003).
- "Finite Allocation Mechanisms: Approximate Walrasian versus Approximate Direct Revelation," with Leonid Hurwicz. Economic Theory 21 (2003): 545-572.
- "Network Mechanisms, Informational Efficiency, and Hierarchies," with S. Reichelstein. Journal of Economic Theory (March 1998): 106-141.
- "Independence versus Dominance in Personal Probability Axioms," in vol. 3 of Uncertainty, Information and Social Choice: Essays in Honor of Kenneth Arrow, edited by W. Heller, R. Starr, and D. Starrett, 129-171. Cambridge University, 1986.
- "Restabilizing Responses, Inertia Supergames, and Oligopolistic Equilibria," with Reinhard Selten. Quarterly Journal of Economics (February 1978): 210-236.
- General Equilibrium with Price-Making Firms, with Reinhard Selten. Springer, 1974.
- Microeconomics for Business Decisions, UGBA 101A
- Decisions, Games and Strategies, BA 243
Honors and Awards
- Co-winner of Koc University prize, for best article in Economic Design, 1996
- Elected, Fellow Econometric Society, 1975
- Fulbright-Hays Research Award, 1965-66
- Guggenheim Fellow, 1965-1966
- Ford Foundation Faculty Research Fellowship, 1962-1963
- Awarded McKinsey Foundation Prize for Best Article in Journal of Business, 1960
- Fellow, Social Science Research Council, 1956-1957
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.