PhD, Business Economics, Harvard University
AM, Business Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Law, University of Bonn
MA in Economics, University of Bonn
BA equiv., Law, University of Bonn
BA, Economics, University of Bonn
At Haas since 2010
2012 - present, Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
2012 - present, Professor of Economics, University of California Berkeley
2009 - present, Research Associate, Corporate Finance and Labor Economics, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)
2007 - present, Research Affiliate, Financial Economics, Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
2006 - present, Research Affiliate, Labour Economics, CEPR
2006 - present, Affiliate, CESifo
2005 - present, Faculty Research Fellow, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA)
2010 - 2012, Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure), Haas School of Business
2008 - 2012, Associate Professor of Economics (with tenure), University of California, Berkeley
2006 - 2009, Faculty Research Fellow, Corporate Finance, NBER
2006 - 2008, Assistant Professor of Economics, UC Berkeley
2004 - 2009, Faculty Research Fellow, Labor Economics, NBER
2002 - 2006, Assistant Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business
2005, Visiting Fellow, Department of Economics, Princeton University
2005, Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago
2000, Visiting Scholar, Max Planck Institute "Law of Common Goods," Bonn (Germany)
1998, Visiting Scholar, Nuttfield College, Oxford University
External Service and Assignments
Guest Associate Editor, Management Science, Special Issue on Behavioral Economics and Finance
Associate Editor, Journal of the European Economic Association
Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Intermediation
Associate Editor, Economic Journal
American Finance Association, Western Finance Association, Financial Management Association, European Finance Association, Financial Intermediation Research Society (FIRS) conference, Annual Conference in Corporate Finance, Washington University
Econometric Society, American Economic Association, American Finance Association
Academy of Management Review, American Economic Review, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, Econometrica, Economic Journal, Economic Letters, Experimental Economics, Financial Management, Games and Economic Behavior, German Economic Review, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economic Literature, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Journal of European Economic Association, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of Labor Economics, Journal of Law and Economics, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Public Economic Theory, Labour Economics, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Management Science, RAND Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Economics and Statistics, Review of Finance, Review of Financial Studies
Current Research and Interests
Corporate Finance, Behavioral Economics/Behavioral Finance, Economics of Organizations, Contract Theory, Law and Economics, Law and Finance
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Depression Babies: Do Macroeconomic Experiences Affect Risk-Taking?" with S. Nagel. Quarterly Journal of Economics, February 211, vol.126(1), pp. 373-416.
- "The Bidder's Curse," with H. Lee. American Economics Review, April 2011, vol.101(2), pp. 749-787.
- "Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements," with J. Lerner. American Economics Review, March 2010, vol. 100 (1), pp. 214-246.
- "Law and Finance at the Origin," Journal of Economic Literature, December 2009, vol. 47(4), pp. 1076-1108.
- "Superstar CEOs," with G. Tate. Quarterly Journal of Economics, November 2009, vol. 124(4), pp. 1593-1638.
Honors and Awards
- “Rising Star in Finance” award, Fordham/NYU Rising Stars conference 2012, New York
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow, 2010 - 2012
- Citation of Excellence by Emerald Management Reviews, 2009
- Coleman Fung Risk Management Research Center Grant, 2008
- Kauffman Foundation Grant, 2008
- Instructional Improvement Grant, 2007
- Center on the Economics and Demography of Aging Grant, 2007
- Abigail Reynolds Hodgen Publication Fund grant, 2007
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.