BA, Sociology, Kent State University
MA, Sociology, Kent State University
PhD, Sociology, University of Wisconsin
At Haas since 1988
2007 - present, Mitsubishi Chair in International Business and Finance, Haas School of Business
2005 - 2008, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
2003, 2009, Visiting Professor, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
2002 - 2003, Special Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Policy and Management, Doshisha University
2001, 2008 - 2009, Visiting Scholar, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo
1999 - 2007, Warren E. and Carol Spieker Chair in Leadership
1997 - 2002, Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1996, Visiting Professor, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan
1995 - 1996, Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1993 - 1994, Visiting Professor, Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan
1990 - 1991, Visiting Scholar, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo, Japan
1988 - 2007, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1984 - 1988, Head, Department of Management & Policy, University of Arizona
1984 - 1988, Professor of Management & Policy and Sociology, University of Arizona
1978 - 1984, Associate Professor of Sociology, Indiana University
1973 - 1979, Assistant/Associate Professor, University of Southern California
External Service and Assignments
- Member: Academy of Management, American Sociological Association, Macro-Organizational Behavior Society, Sociological Research Association
Current Research and Interests
- International business and management, particularly Japanese management
- Corporate governance, organizational networks, organizational theory and research methods
- Human resource management and industrial relations
Selected Papers and Publications
- The Oxford Handbook of Business Groups, co-edited with Asli Colpan and Takashi Hikino. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- "Strategic Alliances in the Japanese Economy: Types, Critiques, Embeddedness, and Change." In H. Miyoshi and Y. Nakata (eds.): Has the Japanese Firm Changed? Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010.
- "A Durkheimian view of organizational culture,” with Didier Guillot. In Marek Korczynski, Randy Hodson, and Paul K. Edwards (eds): Social Theory at Work. Oxford,UK: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Japan’s Network Economy: Structure, Persistence, and Change, with Michael Gerlach. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- "Dyad and Network: Models of Manufacturer-Supplier Collaboration in the Japanese TV Manufacturing Industry," with Didier Guillot, in Advances in International Management Special Issue on Changing Japan, edited by Alan Bird and Thomas Roehl. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 2004.
- "Keiretsu, Governance, and Learning: Case Studies in Change from the Japanese Automotive Industry," with Christina L. Ahmadjian. Organizational Science 12 (2001): 683-701.
- "Economic Organization and Innovation in Japan: Networks, Spinoffs, and the Creation of Enterprise," with Michael Gerlach, in Knowledge Creation: A New Source of Value, edited by Georg Von Krog, Ikujiro Nonaka, and Toshihiro Nishiguchi, 151-198. London: Macmillan, 2000.
- "Evolving Patterns of Keiretsu Organization and Action in Japan," with Michael L. Gerlach and Christina Ahmadjian, in vol. 20 of Research in Organizational Behavior, edited by B. M. Staw and L. L. Cummings, 307-343. Greenwood, NJ: JAI Press, 1998.
- "Organizational Learning and Purchase-Supply Relations in Japan: Hitachi, Matsushita, and Toyota Compared," with Christina L. Ahmadjian and Eliot Mason. California Management Review 24 (Spring 1998): 241-264. Special Issue on Knowledge and the Firm. Edited by Robert E. Cole.
- "The Transformation of the Japanese Employment System: Nature, Depth, and Origins," with Yoshifumi Nakata. Work and Occupations 24 (February 1997): 33-55. Reprinted in The Changing Nature of Work, edited by F. Ackerman, N. R. Goodwin, L. Dougherty, and K. Gallagher. Covelo, CA: Island Press, 1998.
- "Commitment, Quits, and Work Organization in the US and Japan," with Arne L. Kalleberg. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 50 (October 1996): 39-59.
- "Keiretsu Networks and Corporate Performance in Japan," with Michael Gerlach and Christina Ahmadjian. American Sociological Review 61 (February 1996): 67-88.
- Culture, Control and Commitment: A Study of Work Organization and Work Attitudes in the US and Japan, with Arne L. Kalleberg. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- Research in Macro-Organizational Behavior, BA 254B
- Organizational Behavior, BA 105
- International Business and Japan, BA 296.6
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, PhD Program, 1998
- Elected member, Sociological Research Association, 1983-present
- Elected member, Macro-Organizational Behavior Society, 1984-present
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.