Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
BA, Computer Science and Economics, UC Berkeley
AM, Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
At Haas since 1993
2006 - present, Eugene E. and Catherine M. Trefethen Chair in Business Administration, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2011, Chair, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
2005 - 2011 Chair of the Advisory Board, Scientific Evaluation and Global Evaluation
2005 - 2008, Chair, Center for Health Research
2002 - 2006, Professor, Haas School of Business
2004 - 2006, Research Director, Center for Responsible Business
1997 - 2005, Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1993 - 2002, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1996 - 2000, Founding Director of Research, Center for Organization and Human Resource Effectiveness
1994 - 1995, Senior Economist, Council of Economic Advisers, Washington DC
1994, Senior Research Economist, Office of the American Workplace, US Department of Labor
1988 - 1992, Faculty Mentor and Senior Editor, Labor Center Reporter
1983 - 1987, Teaching Fellow, Harvard University
Sloan School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
External Service and Assignments
- Chair, Center for Health Research
- Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
- Research Director, Center for Responsible Responsible Business
- Advisory Board, Center for Responsible Responsible Business
- Board Member: Institute of Industrial Relations Center for Labor Research and Education (advisory board and executive committee)
- Editor: Industrial Relations
Current Research and Interests
- What are the obstacles to good management in settings ranging from large corporations to the foreign aid sector?
- The causes and effects of high wages, workplace diversity, and employee involvement.
- The causes and effects of investments in health and education, particularly in poor nations.
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Randomized Government Safety Inspections Reduce Worker Injuries with No Detectable Job Loss,” with Michael W. Toffel and Matthew S. Johnson. Science. 336, May 18, 2012: 907-912.
- “Learning to Dislike Safe Water Products: Results from a Randomized Controlled Trial of the Effects of Direct and Peer Experience on Willingness to Pay.” With Jill Luoto, Minhaj Mahmud, Jeff Albert, Stephen Luby, Nusrat Najnin, and Leanne Unicomb. Environmental Science & Technology: 46 (11), May 2012: 6244-6251.
- “What Point-of-Use Water Treatment Products do Consumers Use and Value? Evidence from the Urban Poor in Bangladesh,” with Jill Luoto, Nusrat Najnin, Minhaj Mahmud, Jeff Albert, M. Sirajul Islam, Stephen Luby, Leanne Unicomb. PLoS ONE, Oct. 20, 2011. [http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0026132]
- “End-User Preferences for and Performance of Competing POU Water Treatment Technologies among the Rural Poor of Kenya,” with Jeff Albert and Jill Luoto, Environmental Science & Technology, 44 (12), 2010 pp 4426–4432. (Editor’s Choice Award as ES&T’s Best Policy Analysis Paper of 2010.)
- “Quality Management and Job Quality: How the ISO 9001 Standard for Quality Management Systems Affects Employees and Employers,” with Michael Toffel. Management Science. 56, 6, June 2010. (Working paper version was Top Ten download list for MRN Operations Research Network and OPER ,Labor: Public Policy & Regulation eJournal, Law & Society: Private Law, MRN Production & Operations Management Network and PROD Subject Matter eJournals.)
- “Customer Discrimination,” with Laura Giuliano and Jonathan Leonard. Review of Economics and Statistics. 92, 3, August 2010: 670-
- “Investment Following a Financial Crisis: Does Foreign Ownership Matter?” with Garrick Blalock and Paul Gertler. Journal of Monetary Economics. 55, 3, April 2008: 568-591.
- “Intention and Stochastic Outcomes: An Experimental Study,” with Gary Charness. Economic Journal, 117 July 2007: 1051–1072.
- “Does Social Capital Promote Industrialization? Evidence from a Rapid Industrializer,” with Ted Miguel and Paul Gertler, Review of Economics and Statistics, 87, 4, November 2005: 754-762.
- “Schooling and Parental Death,” with Paul Gertler and Minnie Ames. Review of Economics and Statistics, 86, 1, Feb. 2004: 211-225.
- Macroeconomics, E201
- Seminar in Industrial Relations & Labor, PhD 254
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening MBA Program, 2000
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Undergraduate Program, 1990
- Club 6 Member, Haas School of Business, (for teaching excellence, based on student evaluations), each year since 1988
- University of California Alumni Scholar
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]