BA, Computer Science and Economics, UC Berkeley
AM, Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
At Haas since 1993
2006 - present, Eugene E. and Catherine M. Trefethen Chair in Business Administration, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2011, Chair, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
2005 - 2011 Chair of the Advisory Board, Scientific Evaluation and Global Evaluation
2005 - 2008, Chair, Center for Health Research
2002 - 2006, Professor, Haas School of Business
2004 - 2006, Research Director, Center for Responsible Business
1997 - 2005, Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1993 - 2002, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1996 - 2000, Founding Director of Research, Center for Organization and Human Resource Effectiveness
1994 - 1995, Senior Economist, Council of Economic Advisers, Washington DC
1994, Senior Research Economist, Office of the American Workplace, US Department of Labor
1988 - 1992, Faculty Mentor and Senior Editor, Labor Center Reporter
1983 - 1987, Teaching Fellow, Harvard University
Sloan School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
External Service and Assignments
- Chair, Center for Health Research
- Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
- Research Director, Center for Responsible Responsible Business
- Advisory Board, Center for Responsible Responsible Business
- Board Member: Institute of Industrial Relations Center for Labor Research and Education (advisory board and executive committee)
- Editor: Industrial Relations
Current Research and Interests
- What are the obstacles to good management in settings ranging from large corporations to the foreign aid sector?
- The causes and effects of high wages, workplace diversity, and employee involvement.
- The causes and effects of investments in health and education, particularly in poor nations.
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Diversity, Discrimination and Performance,” with Laura Giuliano and Jonathan Leonard. Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
- “Manager Race and the Race of New Hires,” with Laura Giuliano and Jonathan Leonard. Journal of Labor Economics, forthcoming.
- “Do Microfinance Programs Help Families Insure Consumption Against Illness?” with Paul Gertler and Enrico Moretti. Health Economics 18, no. 3 (2009): 257-273.
- “How Well Do Social Ratings Actually Measure Corporate Social Responsibility?” with Aaron K. Chatterji and Michael W. Toffel. Journal of Economics, Management and Strategy 18, no. 1: 125-169.
- “Investment Following a Financial Crisis: Does Foreign Ownership Matter?” with Garrick Blalock and Paul Gertler. Journal of Monetary Economics 55, no. 3 (April 2008): 568-591.
- Changes in Careers and Wage Structures at Large American Employers, with Dale Belman, Gary Charness, Erica Groshen, and K.C. O'Shaughnessy. Kalamazoo MI: Upjohn Institute, 2003.
- Carve-outs in Workers' Compensation Programs in California Construction, with Cristian Echeverria, Frank Neuhauser, Richard Reuben, and Jeffrey S. Petersen. Kalamazoo MI: Upjohn Institute, 2001
- The American Workplace: Skills, Pay and Employee Involvement, edited with Casey Ichniowski, Craig Olson, and George Strauss. Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Working in the Twenty-First Century: Policies for Economic Growth Through Training, Opportunity, and Education. M.E. Sharpe, Inc., 1998.
- Reinventing the Workplace: How Business and Employees Can Both Win. Washington DC: Brookings Institution, 1995.
- Macroeconomics, E201
- Seminar in Industrial Relations & Labor, PhD 254
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening MBA Program, 2000
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Undergraduate Program, 1990
- Club 6 Member, Haas School of Business, (for teaching excellence, based on student evaluations), each year since 1988
- University of California Alumni Scholar
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Society
- Phi Beta Kappa
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.