Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
BS, Industrial Management and Economics, Carnegie Mellon University
MBA, Strategic Management and Marketing, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
PhD, Business Administration (Organizational Behavior), Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
At Haas since 2010
2010 - present, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
2002 - 2003, Independent Consultant, Boeing Company
1998, 1999 - 2002, Associate, Booz & Company
1996 - 1997, Co-Founder and Equity Partner, Neuro Trading Systems
1994 - 1996, Consultant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
1992 - 1994, Staff Consultant, Accenture
External Service and Assignments
- 2009 - present, Administrative Science Quarterly
- 2009 - present, Industrial and Corporate Change
- 2006 - present, Academy of Management Annual Meetings
- 2006 - 2009, President and Advisor, Stanford GSB PhD Student Association
- 2006 - present, American Sociological Association
- 2003 - present, Academy of Management
Current Research and Interests
- Organizational theory
- Economic sociology
Selected Papers and Publications
- Leung, Ming D. 2014. “Dilettante or Renaissance Person? How the Order of Job Experiences Affects Hiring in an External Labor Market.” American Sociological Review, 79 (1): 136-58.
- Leung, Ming D. and Amanda J. Sharkey. 2014. ”Out of Sight, Out of Mind? The Audience-side Effect of Multi-category Membership in Markets.” Organization Science, 25 (1) p.171-184.
- Negro, Giacomo and Ming D. Leung. 2013. ““Actual” and Perceptual Effects of Category Spanning.” Organization Science, 24 (3): 684-696.
- Leung, Ming D. and Jue Wang. 2015. “Contention and Contribution: Spontaneous solidarity and discourse in the collective production of movie reviews” Under 1st revision for American Journal of Sociology
- Leung Ming D. and Hayagreeva Rao. 2015. "The Turnover bug: An empirical study of voluntary turnover as a heterogeneous diffusion process" Under review at Academy of Management Journal
- Ng, Weiyi and Ming D. Leung. 2015. “For love or money? Gender differences in how one approaches getting a job." Working paper.
- Leung, Ming D. 2015. “Failed Searches: How category overlap facilitates commensuration in an online market for services.” Working paper.
- Zhang, Evelyn, Brandy Aven, and Ming D. Leung. 2015 "Homophilly or Heterophilly? Differential Preferences for Category Spanning in an Online Community of Product Reviewers." Working paper.
- Kovacs, Balazs and Ming D. Leung. 2015. "Part-time entrepreneurship: The case of online freelancing." Working paper.
- Leung, Ming D. and Weiyi Ng. 2015. “On Discourse and Distance: Spanning, relevance, and reputation in an online market for contract labor." Working paper.
- Leung, Ming D. and Brian P. Reschke. 2015. "Variety is the spice of life: Audience motivations for unconventional category combinations in an online market for peer-to-peer lending." Working paper.
- Leung, Ming D. 2014. “Job Categories and Geographic Identity: Occupational agglomeration advantages in a virtual labor market.” Working paper.
Honors and Awards
- Runner up Louis Pondy Best Dissertation Paper Award for “Dilettante or Renaissance Man? How the sequence of category memberships affects credibility in an online market for services,” 2010
- Lester Langford Morse Scholarship 2007-09
- Charles W. Bonner Fellowship 2007-09
- Chester N. Weaver Fellowship 2005-06, 2007-08
- G. Cal Setzer Fellowship 2006-07
- Robert E. Gross/Lockheed Fellowship 2006-07
- Don Brewer and Gordon Cain Fellowship 2006-07
- Dean’s Award of Distinction, University of Chicago MBA Class of 1999
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]