AB, Economics, Harvard College
AM, Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
At Haas since 1982
2004 - present, George Quist Chair in Business Ethics, Haas School of Business
1999 - present, Chair, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1996 - present, Center for Organization and Human Resource Effectiveness
1991 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1989, Senior Economist, President's Council of Economic Advisers, Washington, DC
External Service and Assignments
- Board Member: Institute of Industrial Relations
- Congressional Testimony on Affirmative Action
- Consultant to US Department of Labor, Assistant Secretary for Policy, Swiss National Fund, US Department of Labor, Glass Ceiling Commission, OECD, Employment and Immigration, Canada, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung Berlin, US Department of Labor Commission on Workforce Quality and Labor Market Efficiency, Expert Panel on Technology and Employment, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Steering Committee, US House Committee on Education and Labor Affirmative Action Study Project, National Academy of Sciences, Panel on Technology and Employment, US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, US Department of Education, Panel on US Disability Policy, US Commission on Civil Rights.
Current Research and Interests
- Employee incentives
- Affirmative action
- Job creation
- Workplace regulation
Selected Papers and Publications
- Diversity, Discrimination and Performance,” with Laura Giuliano and David Levine. Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming. li>
- "Manager Race and the Race of New Hires,” with Laura Giuliano and David Levine. Journal of Labor Economics, forthcoming.
- "Do Birds of a Feather Shop Together? The Effects on Performance of Employee's Similarity with One Another and with Customers," with D. Levine and A. Joshi. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- "The Effects of Diversity on Business Performance: Report of the Diversity Research Network," with T. Kochan, et al. Human Resource Management 42, no. 1 (2003): 3-21.
- "How Industrial Relations Affects Plant Performance: The Case of Commercial Aircraft Manufacturing," with M. Kleiner and A. Pilarski. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 55, no. 2 (January 2002): 195-218.
- "Bringing the Firm Back In." Labour Economics 6, no. 1 (1999): 43-51.
- "Wage Disparities and Affirmative Action." American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings, 86, no. 2 (May 1996).
- "Worker's Limited Liability, Turnover, and Employment Contracts," with M. Van Audenrode. Annales d’Economie et de Statistique, 1996.
- "Politique Industrielle et Dynamique de l'Emploi en Belgique," with M. Van Audenrode. Reflets et Perspectives de la Vie Economique 33, no. 1/2 (Fevrier 1994): 73-86.
- Human Resources Management, MBA 251-1
- Economics for Business Decision Making, MBA 201A-1A
Honors and Awards
- Russell Sage Foundation Grant, 2003-2005
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening MBA Program, 2001
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 1998
- Olin Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1985-1986
- Regents' Junior Faculty Fellowship, University of California, 1985
- Stouffer Fellowship at the Harvard-M.I.T. Joint Center for Urban Studies, 1981
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.