AB, Economics, Harvard College
AM, Economics, Harvard University
PhD, Economics, Harvard University
At Haas since 1982
2004 - present, George Quist Chair in Business Ethics, Haas School of Business
1999 - present, Chair, Economic Analysis and Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1996 - present, Center for Organization and Human Resource Effectiveness
1991 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1989, Senior Economist, President's Council of Economic Advisers, Washington, DC
External Service and Assignments
- Board Member: Institute of Industrial Relations
- Congressional Testimony on Affirmative Action
- Consultant to US Department of Labor, Assistant Secretary for Policy, Swiss National Fund, US Department of Labor, Glass Ceiling Commission, OECD, Employment and Immigration, Canada, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung Berlin, US Department of Labor Commission on Workforce Quality and Labor Market Efficiency, Expert Panel on Technology and Employment, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Steering Committee, US House Committee on Education and Labor Affirmative Action Study Project, National Academy of Sciences, Panel on Technology and Employment, US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, US Department of Education, Panel on US Disability Policy, US Commission on Civil Rights.
Current Research and Interests
- Employee incentives
- Affirmative action
- Job creation
- Workplace regulation
Selected Papers and Publications
- “The Cost of Upstream Strikes,” (with A. Pilarski), Proceedings of the Labor and Employment Relations Association (2013) forthcoming.
- “Racial Bias in the Manager-Employee Relationship: An Analysis of Quits, Dismissals, and Promotions at a Large Retail Firm,” (with L. Giuliano and D. Levine), Journal of Human Resources, 46(1), Winter 2011, pp. 26-52.
- “Customer Discrimination,” (with L. Giuliano and D. Levine), Review of Economics and Statistics, 92:3, August 2010, pp. 670–678.
- “The Effects of Diversity on Business Performance: Report of the Diversity Research Network”, (with T. Kochan et.al.) Human Resource Management , 42 (1), 2003, pp. 3-21. Winner of the Ulrich and Lake Award for Excellence in Human Resource Management Scholarship, 2004.
- “How Industrial Relations Affects Plant Performance: The Case of Commercial Aircraft Manufacturing”, (with M. Kleiner and A. Pilarski), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 55:2, January 2002, pp. 195-218.
- “Compensation Policies and Firm Productivity” with M. Van Audenrode and B. Mulkay, in J. Haltiwanger, J. Lane et. al. eds. The Creation and Analysis of Employer-Employee Matched Data”, (Amsterdam, North Holland, 1999. pp. 79-115.
- "Corporatism Run Amok: Job Stability and Industrial Policy in Belgium and the United States" (with M. Van Audenrode), Economic Policy, No. 17 (October 1993), pp. 355-389.
- "Executive Pay and Firm Performance," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 43:3 (February 1990), pp. 13s-29s. Reprinted in R.G. Ehrenberg (ed.), Do Compensation Policies Matter? (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1990), pp. 13-29.
- Strategy, MBA 299
- Strategy, Structure, and Incentives MBA210
Honors and Awards
- Russell Sage Foundation Grant, 2003-2005
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening MBA Program, 2001
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 1998
- Olin Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 1985-1986
- Regents' Junior Faculty Fellowship, University of California, 1985
- Stouffer Fellowship at the Harvard-M.I.T. Joint Center for Urban Studies, 1981
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.