BEng, Electrical Engineering, National University of Singapore
MSc, Computer and Information Science, National University of Singapore
MA, Decision Sciences, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
PhD, Decision Sciences, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
At Haas since 2002
2007 - present, Director, Asia Business Center
2002 - present, William Halford Jr. Family Professor of Marketing, Haas School of Business
2005 - 2006, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Haas School of Business
1997 - 2002, Associate Professor of Marketing, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
2000 - 2002, Visiting Professor, National University of Singapore
1994 - 1997, Assistant Professor of Operations and Technology Management, The Anderson School, UCLA
1993 - 1994, Lecturer, National University of Singapore
External Service and Assignments
- Departmental Editor, Management Science (Decision Analysis)
- Co-editor, Foundations and Trends in Marketing
- Associate Editor, Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science, Quantitative Marketing and Economics
- Member, American Economic Association, INFORMS
- Consultant, Autodesk, Boston Scientific Corporation, Campbell’s, eBay, HP, INTEL, and Martek
- Director, Berkeley-NTU Advanced Management Program, Berkeley Pricing Program
- Past Academic Director: IE-Wharton-INSEAD Global Marketing Executive Education Program
Current Research and Interests
- Behavioral pricing and revenue model design
- Bounded rationality and alternatives to equilibrium models
- Emotional gaming
- Strategic intelligence quotient
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Gaming Emotions in Social Interactions," with Eduardo B. Andrade. Journal of Consumer Research, 36:539-552, 2009.
- "Peer-induced Fairness in Games," with Xuanming Su. American Economic Review, 99:5, 2047-2077 (2009).
- "Modeling the Psychology of Consumer and Firm Behavior Using Behavioral Economics," with Noah Lim and Colin Camerer. Journal of Marketing Research 43 (August 2006): 307-331. Lead Article.
- "Trust Building Among Strangers," with Keith Weigelt. Management Science 51, no. 4 (2005): 4, 1-12. Lead Article. Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award.
- "A Cognitive Hierarchy Model of One-Shot Games," with Colin Camerer and Juin-Kuan Chong. Quarterly Journal of Economics 119: 3 (August 2004), 861-898.
- "A Learning-based Model for Inputting Missing Levels in Partial Conjoint Profiles," with E. Bradlow and Ye Hu. Journal of Marketing Research (November 2004). Lead article. Finalist, Paul Green Best Paper Award.
- "Sophisticated EWA Learning and Strategic Teaching in Repeated Games," with Colin Camerer and Juin-Kuan Chong. Journal of Economic Theory 104 (2002): 137-188.
- "Experience-Weighted Attraction Learning in Normal Form Games," with Colin Camerer. Econometrica 67, no. 4 (July 1999): 827-874.
- Experimental economics
Honors and Awards
- Berkeley Distinguished Teaching Award, 2010
- National Science Foundation Grant, 2004-2007
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2006
- Finalist, John D.C. Little Best Paper Award, 2005
- Finalist, Paul Green Best Paper Award, 2005
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2005
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2004
- National Science Foundation Grants, 1995-2003
- Earl F. Cheit Award Honorable Mention, 2003
- Finalist, Helen Kardon Moss Anvil Teaching Award, Wharton, 2000
- Deloitte and Touche Award for Management Field Study, Advisor, UCLA, 1996
- George Dantzig Best Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention, 1994
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.