BA, Physics, Ecole Polytechnique
MA, Engineering, Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussees
MA, Economics, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales
PhD, Economics, MIT
At Haas since 2013
2013 - present, Professor of Economics, Haas School of Business
2007 - present, Professor of Economics, UC Berkeley Economics Department
2003 - 2007, Assistant Professor of Economics, UC Berkeley Economics Department
1998 - 2003, Assistant Professor of Economics, Princeton University
1996 - 1998, Assistant Professor of Economics, Stanford Graduate School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Editor-in-Chief, IMF Economic Review
- World Economic Forum, Member of the Global Agenda Council on the International Monetary System
- Bellagio Group
- Research Fellow, Center for Economic Policy Research
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- French Council of Economic Advisors (2012-2013)
- Scientific Committee of the Banque of France (2004 - 2012)
Current Research and Interests
- International macroeconomics
- Importance of the valuation channel for the dynamics of external adjustment and the determination of exchange rates (with Hélène Rey)
- Determinants of capital flows to and from developing countries (with Olivier Jeanne)
- International portfolios (with Nicolas Coerdacier)
- Global imbalances (with Ricardo Caballero and Emmanuel Farhi)
- International price discrimination (with Gita Gopinath, Chang-Tai Hsieh and Nick Li)
- The global finanical crisis (with Maury Obstfeld)
Selected Papers and Publications
- Obstfeld and Gourinchas, Stories of the Twentieth Century for the Twenty-First, American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, January 2012, 4(1), pp.226-265.
- Gopinath, Gourinchas, Hsieh and Li, International Prices, Cost and Markup Differences American Economic Review, 101(6), pp.2450-86, October 2011
- Caballero, Farhi and Gourinchas, An Equilibrium Model of `Global Imbalances' and Low Interest Rates, American Economic Review, 98(1), March 2008.
- Gourinchas and Rey, International Financial Adjustment, Journal of Political Economy, 115(4), August 2007.
- Gourinchas and Jeanne, The Elusive Gains from International Financial Integration, Review of Economic Studies, 73(3), July 2006
- Gourinchas and Parker, Consumption over the LifeCycle, Econometrica, 70(1), January 2002
- International Monetary Economics, econ182
- International Finance and Macroeconomics, econ280B
Honors and Awards
- Bernacer prize for best European economist working in macroeconomics and finance under the age of 40 (2008)
- Prix du meilleur jeune economist, for the best French economist (2007)
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.