Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin
BA, Economics, University of Wisconsin
At Haas since 1996
1996-present, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1996-present, Professor, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
2010-present, Scientific Director, Center for Effective Global Action, UC Berkeley
2012-2013, Director, Clausen Center for International Economics and Policy, UC Berkeley
2010-2012, Founding Chair, Board of Directors, International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie), New Delhi, India
2000-2012, Director, Graduate Program in Health Management, UC Berkeley
2008-2011, Director, Institute of Business and Economics Research, UC Berkeley
2004-2006, Chief Economist, Human Development Network, The World Bank
1994-1996, Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, Harvard University
1988-1996, Senior Economist, RAND, Santa Monica, CA
1986-1988, Assistant Professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard University
1983-1986, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, SUNY Stony Brook
1978-1980, Analyst, Office of Health Economics, Department of Health, State of Wisconsin
External Service and Assignments
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Econometric Society
- Member, Health Economics Research Organization
- Faculty Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Founding Member, International Health Economics Association
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Physician Ownership of Complementary Medical Services” forthcoming in the Journal of Public Economics, 2016.
- “Shelter from the Storm: Upgrading Housing Infrastructure in Latin American Slums,” Journal of Urban Economics, 2016.
- “Investing in the Foundation of Sustainable Development: Pathways to Scale for Early Childhood Development,” The Lancet, 2016.
- “Non-Contributory Pensions,” Labour Economics, 2016.
- “The Demand for Energy-Using Assets Among the World’s Rising Middle Classes,” American Economic Review, 2016.
- “Contribution of Air Conditioning Adoption to Future Energy Use Under Global Warming,” proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 2015.
- “Using Provider Performance Incentives to Increase HIV Testing and Counseling Services in Rwanda,” Journal of Health Economics, 2014.
- “Labor Market Returns to an Early Childhood Stimulation Intervention in Jamaica”, Science, 2014.
- “The Effect of India’s Total Sanitation Campaign on Defecation Behaviors and Child Health in Rural Madhya Pradesh: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial”, PLos Med, 2014.
- “Cash for Coolers: Evaluating a Large-Scale Appliance Replacement Program in Mexico”, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2014.
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Doctorate, Erasmus University, The Netherlands, 2015
- Committee on Teaching Excellence (CoTE) Award, UC Berkeley, 2014
- Juan Jose Bobadilla Medal for Global Health, 2013
- Research Medal, Global Development Network, 2002
- Academic Leadership Award, National Institutes of Health, 1998
- Kenneth Arrow Award, International Health Economics Association, 1996
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]