BA, Economics, University of Wisconsin
PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin
At Haas since 1996
2008 - present, Director, Institute of Business and Economics Research (IBER)
1996 - present, Professor, Haas School of Business
1996 - present, Professor, Health Services Finance, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
1988 - 1996, Senior Economist, RAND, Santa Monica, CA
1986 - 1988, Assistant Professor, Department of Public Policy and Management, Harvard University
1983 - 1986, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, State University of New York
1978 - 1980, Analyst, Office of Health Economics, Department of Health, State of Wisconsin
External Service and Assignments
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Econometric Society
- Member, Health Economics Research Organization
- Faculty Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Founding Member, International Health Economics Association
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Using Performance Incentives to Improve Medical Care Productivity and Health Outcomes" with C. Vermeersch. Working Paper.
- "On the Road to Social Health Insurance: The Asian Experience." World Development 26, no. 4 (1998): 717-732.
- "The Policy Implications for Better Structure and Process on Birth Outcomes," with J. Peabody and A. Leibowitz. Health Policy 43 (1998): 1-13.
- "Private Health Insurance and Public Expenditures," with R. Strum. Journal of Econometrics 77 (1997): 237-257.
- "Targeting Interventions for Low Birthweight," with J. Peabody. Journal of Community Epidemiology 12 (1997).
- "Moral Hazard and Risk Spreading in Medical Partnerships," with M. Gaynor. RAND Journal of Economics (1995).
- "Family Productivity, Labor Supply and Welfare." Journal of Human Resources 29 (1994): 989-1026.
Honors and Awards
- Kenneth Arrow Award in Health Economics, 1996
- Academic Career Leadership Award, National Institutes of Health, 1998
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.