Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
BA, Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
LLB, Law, Yale University
MA, Political Science, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 1964
2007 – present, Senior Fellow, Institute of Governmental Studies 2007 – present, Academic Advisor, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
1991 – present, Professor Emeritus, Haas School of Business 2006 – 2007, Associate Dean of International Relations, International and Area Studies 2005 – 2007, Professor in the Graduate School, International and Area Studies 2002 – 2007, Director, The Rotary Center for International Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution 2002 – 2006, Chair, Peace and Conflict Studies Group Major, International and Area Studies Teaching Program
1994 – 2001, Dean, School of Economics and Business Administration, and Earl W. Smith Professor, Saint Mary’s College of California, Moraga, CA
1989 – 1991, Chair, Political Economy of Industrial Societies Group Major
1986 – 1988, Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate
1984 – 1986, and 1978 – 1982, Chair, Business and Public Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1982 – 1984, Chair, Program in Business and Social Policy, Haas School of Business
1980 – 1986, Chair, Advisory Committee, Institute for Governmental Studies 1976 – 2002, Adjunct Professor of Religion and Society, Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA
1973 – 1991, Professor, Haas School of Business
1973 – 1977, Associate Dean, Haas School of Business
1969 – 1973, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1969 – 1970, Faculty Coordinator for Minority Affairs, Haas School of Business
1968 – 1969, Founding Director, Office of Urban Programs, Haas School of Business
1967 – 1969, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1964 – 1967, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Member, Board of Directors, Roots of Peace
- Independent Consultant: Business Ethics/Corporate Governance Issues; Urban Affairs/Intergroup Relations; International Management Education
- Member, Board of Advisors, UC Berkeley-St. Petersburg State University (Russia) School of Management Program
- Member, Board of Regents, John F. Kennedy University, Orinda, CA
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Judah L. Magnes Museum, Berkeley, CA
- Editorial Board: California Management Review, The Journal of General Management, Business Ethics Quarterly, Business and Society
- Senior Fellow, Center for Ethics and Social Policy
- Member, Academy of Management, International Association for Business and Society, International Society of Business, Economics and Ethics, Society of Business Ethics
- Member, Bars of California, Pennsylvania and Supreme Court of the United States
Current Research and Interests
- Business ethics, generally, Jewish business ethics, specifically peace and conflict studies related issues
Selected Papers and Publications
- Sources of International and Infrastructure Conflict and Possibilities for Resolution in This Decade (ed), Rotary Foundation, 2006.
- Book Review Essay: “Business and Society: Tradition and Change.” Journal of General Management 30, no. 2 (Winter 2004): 7-13.
- “Religious Resources for Business Ethics: a Jewish Perspective.” Latin American Business Review 4, no. 4 (2003): 111-117.
- “Judaism’s Contribution to Contemporary Business Ethics.” Business and Society Society and Economy 25, no. 2 (2003): 249-257.
- “Judaism’s Contribution to Our Understanding of Business, Religion and Spirituality: Reflections During a Jubilee Year.” in Business, Religion and Spirituality, A New Synthesis, ed. Oliver F. Williams. Notre Dame, Indiana: University of Notre Dame Press, 2003.
- “How to Learn from the Environment about the Environment: A Pre-requisite for Organizational Well-Being.” Journal of General Management 29, no. 1 (Autumn 2003): 49-61.
- “The Field of Business Ethics in the United States: Past, Present, and Future.” Journal of General Management 28, no. 2 (Winter 2002): 1-21.
- “Religion and Business—The Critical Role of Religious Traditions in Management Education.” Journal of Business Ethics 38, no. 1-2 (June, II-III, 2002): 91-96.
- Review of S. Prakash Sethi and Oliver F. Williams, “Economic Imperatives and Ethical Values in Global Business: The South African Experience and Global Codes Today.” Business and Society 40, no. 3 (September 2001): 349-357.
- “The Jubilee, Wealth and Its Distribution: A Jewish Perspective.” Global Focus 13, no. 2 (June 2001): 1-10.
- “Contemporary Jewish Perspectives on Business Ethics: The Contributions of Meir Tamari and Moses L. Pava-A Review Essay.” Business Ethics Quarterly 10, no. 2 (March 2000): 423-541.
- “The Continuing Quest for Accountable, Ethical, and Humane Corporate Capitalism: An Enduring Challenge for Social Issues in Management in the New Millennium.” Business and Society 38, no. 3 (September 1999): 253-267.
- Business Ethics and the Corporate Social Policy Process. Bushindo and Co., 1996, 221 pp. (in Japanese).
- Business Environment/Public Policy: The Field and Its Future – 1981 Conference Papers, with Lee E. Preston. American Assembly of Collegiate School of Business, 1982.
- Rationality, Legitimacy, Responsibility: The Search for New Directions in Business and Society, ed. with Dow Votaw. Goodyear Publishing Co., 1978.
- Black Americans and White Business, ed. with David R. Hampton. Dickenson, 1971.
- The Corporation in American Politics. Prentice Hall, Inc., 1969, 365 pages.
- Corporations, Contributions and Political Campaigns: Federal Regulation in Perspective. Institute of Governmental Studies, UC Berkeley, 1968.
Honors and Awards
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International, 2006
- The Berkeley Citation for “Distinguished Achievements, and Notable Service to the University,” 1991
- Summer Marcus Distinguished Service Award, Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management, 1989, for a career of leadership and service to the Social Issues in Management field
- Howard Chase Book Award for a book judged to have a made a “significant and lasting contribution to the study of business and society” (The Corporation in American Politics, Prentice-Hall, 1969), Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management, 1989
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, 1989
- Elected Honorary Member, Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Chapter of California, University of California, Berkeley 1988
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Political Economy Students Association, 1987
- Elected Honorary Member, Golden Key National Honor Society, Berkeley Chapter, 1987
- Inaugural Jayes/Qantas Visiting Lecturer, University of Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia, 1981
- Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC, 1977 – 1978
- Fellowship, Department of Politics, University of Reading (U.K.), 1971
- Academy of Management Award for Authorship of one of the Five Best Books in Management published during 1969, The Corporation in American Politics, 1970
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]